Staff Software Engineer ARM
- Job ID #: 11063
- Job Category: Software Engineering
- Employment Type: Experienced Professionals
- Division: Architecture & Technology
- Department: Architecture & Technology - Engineering
- Primary Country: UK
- Primary Location: Cambridge
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic software engineer who wants to influence the future of ARM architecture.
In this role you will prototype software to enhance and make use of cutting-edge new features in the ARM architecture. This work will play a key role in validating proposed improvements to hardware architecture, and in understanding their impact on the software stacks that run on ARM systems. As such, it will influence product roadmaps both within ARM and inside major companies across the ARM ecosystem.
Systems targeted by this work may range from mobile to servers. The role will require working with other teams within ARM, and with external customers.
As ARM’s largest engineering centre, the Cambridge site is fortunate enough to be involved in development across all areas of ARM’s ever-growing product portfolio. As a Cambridge-based ARM employee, you will be surrounded by world-leading experts and will have the opportunity to work with some of the very best engineers in the industry. If the challenge of working on our cutting-edge technology excites you, and you can meet the requirements of the job description below, we look forward to receiving your application!
As part of the Architecture and Technology Group that define the future system architectures for ARM systems, the successful candidate will:
- Prototype software for next generation of ARM architecture.
- Work closely with other members of the team to build and analyse full-system prototypes.
- Work with teams across ARM, and the ARM ecosystem, to develop and assess the viability of prototyped systems.
Education & Qualifications
Good university degree - ideally in computer science, although other disciplines will be considered if the applicant has relevant experience.
Essential Skills & Experience
You will have knowledge and hands-on experience in several of these areas:
- Strong programming experience in C or C++.
- Embedded or low-level software development.
- Operating systems and kernel and device driver programming.
- Fundamentals of computer architecture.
A successful candidate will possess the following characteristics:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Pro-active and self-motivated with a passion for computer architecture, and an interest in system hardware and operating systems.
- Willingness to be flexible and deliver on new challenges.
- Thorough and practical attitude to problem-solving.
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Development of techniques and tools to analyse how the OS and applications utilize the underlying hardware.
- ARM architecture and IP.
- Assembler programming.
- Knowledge of virtualisation and associated technologies.
- Low-level platform security, secure boot and cryptographic processes.
What are the desired behaviours for this role?
At ARM, we are proud to have a set of behaviours that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary. These behaviours are assessed as part of the recruitment process:
- Partner and customer focus – Your tendency to put your partners and customers first in all that you do by understanding their needs and striving to achieve win-win solutions.
- Collaboration and communication – Your ability to forge lasting relationships which are built upon mutual trust, open communication and sharing of information and success.
- Creativity and innovation – Possessing a passion for driving continuous improvement through spotting opportunities and seeking the views of others.
- Team and personal development – You take time to drive your own development, whilst also encouraging team members and partners to do the same.
- Impact and influence – You listen to different perspectives, evaluate, persuade and carefully shape your work to deliver truly impactful results.
- Deliver on your promises – You demonstrate a can-do attitude and you drive to overcome obstacles, acting with a sense of urgency because you’re passionate about what you do.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. ARM’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
At our global HQ in Cambridge, England we house the majority of our engineering and our corporate groups that deliver our extraordinary success. As a world-renowned university town, Cambridge boasts both a beautiful countryside and a historical town center. Local activities include punting on the River Cam and the many museums that reside within Cambridge University.
110 Fulbourn Road