Senior Software Engineer - Mali Driver Graphics Stack Integration ARM
- Job ID #: 11499
- Job Category: Software Engineering
- Employment Type: Experienced Professionals
- Division: Central Engineering - Media
- Department: Central Engineering - Media Engineering
- Primary Country: UK
- Primary Location: Cambridge
- Additional Country: Norway
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Are you looking for an exciting and challenging role working on the leading edge of mobile GPU technology? Are you looking to use your technical and leadership skills to help drive your career? You will join an Agile Software development team working on the drivers for the next generation Mali™ mobile GPUs. You will work with the latest yet-to-be-published Android versions and will help shape the technologies that the mobile market will see in years to come.
You will be joining a multinational, dynamic and highly motivated software development team, located across Cambridge (UK) and Trondheim (Norway). We are responsible for the Mali GPU user-space library components devoted to platform and window system integration, enabling you to get a unique view behind the scenes at how the graphics rendering pipeline is integrated into billions of devices around the world.
What you will be involved with:
You will be working closely with the multi-disciplined engineering teams across ARM’s European design centres to develop drivers for the current and the next generation of ARM Mali GPUs.
Technologies you will get to work with include Wayland, Android’s SurfaceFlinger, Khronos EGL and Vulkan APIs, and the Android and Linux graphics stacks. If you would like to develop your skills and understanding in these technologies this is the opportunity for you.
Recent achievements of the team include:
· Development of Vulkan extensions to enable direct-to-display rendering.
· Development of EGL extensions to support virtual reality (VR), such as Google Daydream.
· Creation of a new platform independent framebuffer allocation interface.
· Updates to the interface code required to support future, in development Mali GPUs.
Day to day activities include:
· Participating in all phases of software development - including design, implementation, testing, code review and documentation.
· Supporting and mentoring other members of the team.
· Working closely with other software teams to interface driver components.
· Writing code for the user-space GPU driver.
· Maintaining the existing codebase: fixing bugs and other quality assurance activities.
· Development on local platforms and remotely on a test farm, on both stable and under development OS configurations.
This is an amazing opportunity to influence products and technology that millions of people will use around the globe years ahead of the product release.
About the Media Processing Group:
The Media Processing Group produces graphics hardware and software products for mobile and embedded devices. Our product portfolio includes GPU, Display and Video IP. Our Mali™ Graphics Processors (GPUs) have an advanced, highly programmable architecture for accelerating 3D graphics and compute tasks, specifically tuned for high performance and energy efficiency. Mali multi-core GPUs set a new standard for graphics and compute performance with low energy consumption. Our Vulkan, OpenGL ES, OpenCL and Renderscript drivers support cutting edge gaming and state of the art user interfaces on operating systems such as Linux and Android. To see the current Mali GPUs in action take a look at the Mali Developer Center (http://www.malideveloper.com).
Our mission is to be the number one provider of 2D/3D Graphics technology on the planet. If you have a passion for high quality software development and want to shape the future of mobile devices, then we want to hear from you.
Education & Qualifications:
· Educated to Degree (computer science or electronics engineering) or equivalent experience
Skills & Experience required:
· Demonstrable expertise in C and C++ programming.
· Experience developing software for Linux, Android or Tizen based systems.
· Good understanding of computer architecture and embedded systems.
· Proficiency in problem solving and debugging skills.
· Experience of version control and bug tracking.
· Excellent team working skills, self-motivated and results focused.
· Practical, organized and analytical approach to work.
· Khronos OpenGL ES, Vulkan and/or EGL experience.
· Demonstrable knowledge of the graphics stack on any major operating system.
· Experience of driver or HAL development.
· Experience of software development for a commercial organization.
· Interest in fulfilling a line management role.
What are the desired behaviours for this role?
At ARM, we are proud to have a set of behaviours that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary. These behaviours are assessed as part of the recruitment process:
ARM offers competitive package with benefits. Relocation support can be provided.
Please note: we may be recruiting for multiple vacancies at this location. Location: Cambridge (UK) or Trondheim (Norway)
We are hiring for multiple positions
Opening date: 30/08/2017
Closing date: 27/09/2017
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
At our global HQ in Cambridge, England we house the majority of our engineering and our corporate groups that deliver our extraordinary success. As a world-renowned university town, Cambridge boasts both a beautiful countryside and a historical town center. Local activities include punting on the River Cam and the many museums that reside within Cambridge University.
110 Fulbourn Road