Senior Manager, Science Communications AstraZenecaLocation: Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States
Job reference: R-010432
Posted date: Nov. 16, 2017
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the utmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe. As a Senior Manager, Science Communications in Gaithersburg, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives. GPPS (Global Product and Portfolio Strategy) bridges science and commercial, integrating corporate, portfolio, therapy areas and product strategies, providing strategic direction from early-stage research through to commercialization.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
As part of the AstraZeneca Global Corporate Affairs function, the MedImmune Corporate Affairs team is responsible for external communications, including media relations, social & digital media and community affairs; executive engagement; and internal communications. The department’s work spans globally as well as across MedImmune’s three sites – Gaithersburg, MD; Mountain View, California; and Cambridge, UK.
The Senior Manager, Science Communications position plays an integral role in telling the story of MedImmune’s scientific leadership and shaping the science communications strategy for the department. You will be responsible for identifying and developing science-related content for both internal and external communications, in coordination with the leaders of those respective areas (i.e. Head of Internal and External Communications), with the goal of executing communications that will help inform, engage and excite both external stakeholders and employees around MedImmune’s science and its potential to improve patients’ lives.
You will develop strong relationships with MedImmune scientists and other key scientific leaders to identify newsworthy science content applicable for both external and internal channels. You will also partner with the AstraZeneca therapeutic area and other relevant communications teams to coordinate relevant science/publications-related content for the global editorial calendar, including medical congresses, publications and other relevant milestones. You will also help amplify MedImmune scientific achievements within global AstraZeneca channels.
We are looking for you to be a self-starter, flexible and can act quickly given the fast-paced nature of our business, and embodies a collaborative spirit who is enthusiastic about working in communications and the biotech industry. You will ideally have a science background and/or have the ability to understand & interpret complex scientific content for multiple communications channels.
You need to be a strategic thinker with the ability to develop project plans and execute communications effectively. To succeed in this role, you’ll need the organizational and time management skills to support numerous projects, deliver against tight deadlines, coordinate with multiple functions and/or regions and successfully partner with internal clients and leaders.
Champion MedImmune’s early pipeline and innovative science across internal and external stakeholders, helping to strengthen our reputation and identity as a science leader fueling AZ’s late-stage success (40%).
- Internal: Build awareness and confidence in our science. Partner with internal communications team members to ensure channels have a consistent flow of science related communications that showcase how employees are pushing the boundaries of science and exemplifying our values.
- External: Leverage innovative science. Partner with external and digital communications team members to unearth and tell stories of our exceptional science and scientists, exemplifying our roles as leaders across the industry.
Co-lead the development, launch, and amplification of early science narratives across AstraZeneca/MedImmune for Oncology, Respiratory and CVMD (30%).
- Partner with the Innovative Medicines & Early Development (IMED) communications team in the development of oncology, respiratory and cardiovascular/metabolic therapy area early science narratives across the MedImmune/IMED science units.
- Take a leadership role in the rollout of established early science narratives through the following activities:
- Developing and activating a network of science ambassadors across Corporate Affairs
- Support ongoing amplification of early science stories by identifying opportunities to align with ongoing newsflow (i.e. congresses, data milestones)
- Ensure a steady beat of early science narrative pull through by seizing opportunistic moments throughout the year to tell early science stories
Lead the communications strategy & execution around key MedImmune publications (20%).
- Build & execute the appropriate communications plans for high-impact (HI) publications to help increase awareness, inspire pride and connect publication achievements to MedImmune’s scientific leadership story.
- Highlight the significance of select HI publications at high-profile events (such as Town Halls and MedImmune’s monthly senior leader meetings) and on AstraZeneca’s Global Nucleus page, Biological, LabTalk.
- Promote Gaithersburg and Cambridge publication walls on MedImmune’s global internal channels to amplify attention and provide a consistent mechanism to recognize publications.
Serve as a knowledge expert on MedImmune’s early science for global Therapeutic Area (TA) teams (10%).
- Review MedImmune science for key congresses and prepare early science themes/opportunities for amplification that align to our scientific leadership story
- Serve as MedImmune contact for Oncology Content Lab team – helping to ensure MedImmune’s oncology science is represented for communications to the cancer enterprise
- Act as a bridge to/from MedImmune to ensure relevant messages are incorporated into appropriate late-stage and global communications.
- Proactively engage with TA teams to provide updates on early science. Amplify/pull-through appropriate TA activities among MedImmune audiences internally and externally.
- BA/BS degree
- Five to seven years of Communications or Public Relations experience OR strong scientific background with interest in communications
- BA/BS degree in Communications; English; Political Science; Marketing
- Pharmaceutical industry experience
- Science-related background/degree or demonstrated science interest
- Significant writing experience
- Excellent creative and visual skills
- Understanding of communications measurement and analytics
- Demonstrated ability to work calmly and maintain good judgment in fast-paced, high-pressure environments
- Effective team player who can lead cross-functional efforts
- Ability to effectively advise senior leaders and internal clients, act as sounding board, and provide feedback when needed
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.