Senior Manager, Negotiations and Payer Contracting AstraZenecaLocation: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Job reference: R-017122
Posted date: Nov. 13, 2017
At AstraZeneca, we are united by a common purpose – to push the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines. This purpose underpins everything we do; our work helps to make hearts healthier, to help people breathe easier, and to help more people survive cancer. Every day, we make a meaningful difference by delivering potentially life-changing medicines to millions of people worldwide and by leading breakthrough science that promises to transform the treatment of disease.
Our purpose is bold and so is our approach. Becoming a more agile and innovative company means creating a vibrant, dynamic culture where we celebrate entrepreneurial thinking and act with a sense of urgency. We are courageous, taking smart risks and learning from both success and failure. We are curious, creative, and open to new ideas and ways of working. Above all, we are passionate about science and driven to always put patients first. Join us and be part of a great place to work; an environment that energizes and empowers each of us to contribute to achieving our goal to develop and deliver life-changing medicines.
Position Title: Senior Manager, Negotiations and Payer Contracting
Position Type: Full-Time
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
The Senior Manager, Negotiations and Payer Contracting will lead and support the development of product listing agreements and contracting strategies with public and private payers across AstraZeneca’s portfolio of products.
The individual will be accountable for strategy development and execution of private payer negotiations across Canada and will support the Director, Pricing and Contracting with public payer negotiations.
This position is expected to provide subject matter expertise, leadership, and guidance through interactive communication within a matrixed team environment. The incumbent in this role will be required to develop the payer negotation strategy, manage payer relationships, and successfully negotiate payer listing agreements. This individual will work collaboratively with Director of Pricing and Contracting, Pricing and Contracting team, Patient Access and Established Brands internal and external teams, Legal, Regulatory, Forecasting, Finance, and all AstraZeneca Business Units.
- Leverages insights as well as environmental trends to develop foresight to inform strategies and plans.
- Lead and/or participate in cross functional teams to address and support both public and private payer needs within the business.
- Develops credible/trusting business relationships with private payers in order to monitor and ensure fulfillment of obligations made by AstraZeneca via contractual reimbursement commitments.
- Manages and supports contracting framework with AstraZeneca Canada, provides guidance and leadership in the application and execution of the contracting management framework
- Ensures that contract documentation requirements are followed and supports the contract approval requirements and process
- Develops and reviews financial models supporting the contract negotiations with private payers
- Supports the co-development of term sheets and contract language as required
- Develops management reports and insights from existing contracts, monitors for best practice and shares expertise across the organization
- Anticipates and manages change internally and externally effectively to drive positive outcomes for the organization
- Communicate complex issues (negotiations and contracting) and challenges clearly and appropriately to internal and external stakeholders
- Participate, manages and lead cross functional teams within the organization
Skills and Capabilities
- Strong negotiation and customer relationship management skills
- Ability to close complex negotiations
- Adaptive style with ability to influence and build relationships with a range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Strategically agile with strong business acumen to formulate winning negotiation strategies
- Superior ability to convert customer and market insights into negotiation strategy
- Resilient and energized by working with ambiguity and complexity
- Ability to think creatively in developing and implementing business solutions
- Strong communication skills: interpersonal, writing and presentation
- High degree of initiative and sense of urgency
- Relevant pharmaceutical or healthcare sector experience (5 - 7 years) in commercial, insurance, finance, or market access with a proven track record of success.
- In-depth knowledge of private payer market and associated reimbursements processes.
- Ability to think strategically about complex and systematic challenges, and ability to plot a solutions oriented approach is critical.
- Successful track record in negotiations preferably within healthcare sector
- Business acumen and credibility at senior commercial levels required.
- Superior interpersonal and influencing abilities.
- Excellent communications skills (written, spoken and presentation).
- Bachelors’ degree in relevant discipline
- Fluency in French is an advantage.
Only candidates who meet the minimum requirements as outlined above, will be interviewed.
AstraZeneca Canada Inc. is an equal opportunity employer in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, AstraZeneca will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform the Recruitment Coordinator of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.