Senior / Principal Design Engineer ARM
- Job ID #: 11992
- Job Category: Design Engineering
- Employment Type: Experienced Professionals
- Division: Central Engineering - Systems
- Department: Central Engineering - Systems Engineering
- Primary Country: UK
- Primary Location: Sheffield
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
If you have a smartphone, digital camera, digital TV, gaming console or a smart meter at home, you’ve already used an ARM Powered product. Over 125 ARM Powered products are shipped every second and over 35 billion ARM technology-based chips have been shipped to date making us the world’s Intellectual Property (IP) semiconductor supplier.
The ARM Systems and Software group enables partners to build systems using ARM IP. We develop the non-processor IP, reference platform designs and software required to build high-end SoCs used in intelligent devices.
The System MMU team is in Sheffield and is responsible for ARM’s System MMU product line, which implements memory protection for non-CPU processing engines and IO devices in an SoC.
This is high-performance, technically complex IP used across many market segments which is critical to many aspects of system performance. This is an exciting opportunity to work on products with a global impact, working with world experts in the industry.
The ARM office in Sheffield is located in the city centre, close to the universities and with excellent links to the rest of the country. Sheffield itself is located in the centre of the UK and borders the Peak District National Park with opportunities for many outdoor activities such as hiking, mountain biking and climbing. It was ranked the “happiest city in Britain” in 2013.
We are seeking highly motivated engineers capable of participating in the design of our System MMU soft IP product. The level of responsibility and seniority is dependent on the candidate’s level of prior experience. The role can give the opportunity to take on further roles such as a design lead or architect.
• Micro-architecture specification development
• SystemVerilog RTL design and debug
• Working closely with performance modelling, validation and implementation teams to meet functional requirements, performance, power and area goals
• Verification of own design work, e.g. using formal methods
• Planning and tracking tasks to meet the targets at the planned time
• Driving the unit team to ensure the quality of the design work done along with on time delivery
• Coaching and mentoring junior engineers
Please note, these positions are suitable for professionals with industrial experience. Candidates who have recently completed a degree or PhD are recommended to apply to the separately listed graduate vacancies on our website.
Characteristics and Requirements
• Good university degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or other related subject.
Essential Skills & Experience
• Experience in RTL development with optimal power consumption, performance and area.
• A good understanding of ARM based IP or SoC designs and system architecture.
• Able to gather technical requirements and come up with elegant solutions which are no more complex than needed
• Able to consider impact on verification complexity of design decisions
• Ability to generate consistent, complete, and concise specifications
Desirable Skills & Experience
• Memory system design knowledge, in particular memory address translation
• Formal and directed random verification expertise
• Implementation expertise
• DFT knowledge
• Perl, Python or other scripting language
• Knowledge of AMBA or other bus architectures
• Experience of delivering products as part of a team
• Excellent communication and written skills in English
• Professional approach to work
• Flair for lateral thinking and problem solving
• Self motivating
• Ability to provide leadership and technical support to other engineers
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. ARM’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
Our ARM Sheffield office mainly consists of specialists in the Systems and Software group. Considered one of the greenest cities in Europe, the city of Sheffield is the geographical center of England and features over 2 million trees Ample space for outdoor activities are available at one of over 250 parks in the city, helping Sheffield to be voted the ’happiest city’ in Britain in 2013!
8 St Mary's Gate