Scientist I or II - Cardiovascular and Metabolic Disease AstraZenecaLocation: Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States
Job reference: R-011285
Posted date: Jul. 25, 2017
If you’re inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions – join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As a Clinical Pharmacokineticist in Gaithersburg, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
We’re constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We’re pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we’re industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
The ideal candidate for our Scientist I/II position within our Cardiovascular and Metabolic Disease unit will support/lead internal and external preclinical discovery efforts on drug development programs, through validation studies, screening assays for the selection and functional characterization of new molecules focused on ameliorating or reversing disease pathogenesis (diabetes, obesity, NASH, cardiovascular disease and/or chronic kidney disease). The selected individual will be a well-organized and a highly productive bench scientist that can design and execute experiments efficiently and interpret data in the context of multidisciplinary project teams. This position requires strong leadership, excellent communication skills and the ability to work independently in a dynamic and cross-functional group. The candidate is also expected to manage and prioritize a number of different tasks in line with the priorities and goals of the department.
Major Responsibilities include:
- Conducts and participates in projects that are complex and scientifically demanding within the cardio-metabolic field.
- Provide expert in vitro and ex vivo experimental support from concept/design, study initiation and prosecution, through to data analysis and communication of results to project teams and relevant groups.
- Coordinates efforts with others within the department or company.
Required Education and Experience:
- BS degree in the life sciences with a minimum of 10-13 years of relevant experience
- MS degree in the life sciences with a minimum of 8-10 years of relevant experience
- PhD degree in the life sciences with a minimum of 0-3 years of relevant experience
- BS degree in the life sciences with a minimum of 13-15 years of relevant experience
- MS degree in the life sciences with a minimum of 10-13 years of relevant experience
- PhD degree in the life sciences with a minimum of 3-7 years of relevant experience
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong scientific understanding of metabolic and/or cardiovascular disease.
- Experience in a biotech or pharmaceutical research environment is preferred.
- Experience with automation and expertise in performing high throughput assays: 96- and 384-well cell-based assays and biochemical assays.
- Broad hands-on technical skill set should include basic cell biology, molecular biology and biochemical techniques, including tissue culture, functional cell-based in vitro assays with multiple cell types, ELISA, multiplex assays, qRT-PCR, Western blotting, among others, and should be familiar with latest lab technologies.
- Experience handling biological samples (tissues, plasma, serum) for analytical purposes.
- Experience in small animal handling is a plus.
- Initiates, implements, plans, directs, and executes scientific research and development.
- Maintains high level of expertise through review of scientific literature and attendance at scientific conferences.
- Demonstrates ability for scientific insight and conceptual thinking.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, record keeping and data presentation.
- Proven ability to generate high quality data in a timely manner to facilitate data-driven decision making, as well as reports for internal meetings, publication in peer reviewed journals or regulatory filings.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral as well as written communications skills.
- Excellent ability to collaborate with scientists internally and externally to achieve the goals of the department.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.