Principal Software Engineer ARM
- Job ID #: 11836
- Job Category: Research & Development
- Employment Type: Experienced Professionals
- Division: Research
- Department: Research
- Primary Country: USA
- Primary Location: Austin (TX)
- Additional Country: USA
- Additional Location: San Jose (CA)
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
About the role
We are looking for an experienced software engineer to join ARM’s IoT cloud services research team. This is a unique opportunity to join a small team and help drive IoT cloud services research agenda at ARM. You will work on cutting edge technologies and play a vital role in defining and implementing next generation IoT platform and cloud services for billions of interconnected devices.
What will I be accountable for?
As a lead software engineer in the team, you will be responsible for owning the design and implementation of several major components of the system. You will be expected to deliver production quality software using agile development process. You will have end-to-end visibility in all aspects of the design ranging from embedded software to scalable cloud services back-end. You will also serve as a technical role model in the team fostering good software architecture and engineering practices. You will have a great deal of passion about code quality and a solid understanding of scalability, security, and high availability concepts. Successful candidates will be self-driven, highly motivated individuals who are not afraid to think out of the box, can deal with some level of ambiguity, are self-learners, enjoy working on cutting edge technologies, and can translate bold ideas into production grade systems and software.
What skills, experience, and qualifications do I need?
- Bachelors (BS), Masters (MS) or PhD in Computer Science or related disciplines
- A minimum of 5 years of work experience in software engineering
- Proven track record of building and delivering high quality software systems or services
- Expert level proficiency in at least one programming language such as C/C++/Java/Go/Python/Scala
- Experience with databases, operating systems, and distributed systems
- Familiarity with embedded systems (a plus but not required)
What are the desired behaviors for this role?
At ARM, we are proud to have a set of behaviors that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary. These behaviors are assessed as part of the recruitment process:
Delivery of results – You demonstrate a can-do attitude and you drive to overcome obstacles, acting with a sense of urgency because you’re passionate about what you do.
- Partner / customer focus – Your tendency to put your partners and customers first in all that you do by understanding their needs and striving to achieve win-win solutions.
- Creativity / innovation – Possessing curiosity and a passion for driving continuous improvement through spotting opportunities and seeking the views of others.
- Collaboration / communication – Your ability to forge lasting relationships which are built upon mutual trust, open communication and sharing of information and success.
- Personal impact / influence – You listen to different perspectives, evaluate, persuade and carefully shape your work to deliver truly impactful results.
- Team / personal development – You take time to drive your own development, while also encouraging team members and partners to do the same.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. ARM’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Awards
- 401(k), 100% matching on first 6% eligible earnings
- Medical, Dental & Vision, 100% coverage for employee only, shared cost for dependents
- Basic Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance (AD&D)
- Short Term (STD) and Long Term (LTD) Disability Insurance
- Vacation, 20 days per year with option to buy 5 more.
- Holidays, 13 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-years of service
- Sick Leave, 7 days per year
- Volunteering, four hours per month (TeamARM)
- Office location dependent: café on site, fitness facilities, team and social events
- Additional benefits include: Flexible Spending Accounts for health and dependent care, EAP, Health Advocate, Business Travel Accident Program & Commuter programs. ARM, Inc. (USA) participates in E-Verify. For more information, please refer to www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
The ARM Austin office employs staff from across all divisions of ARM and is considered the engineering hub for North America. Austin has the nickname of “Silicon Hills” thanks to the high number of tech companies in the area, and is also known as the “Live Music Capital of the World". Events such as South by Southwest, Austin City Limits Music Festival and the F1 Grand Prix are but a few of the many activities that make Austin a top destination for both residents and travelers.
5707 Southwest Pkwy
Bldg 1 Suite 100
Austin, TX. 78735