Physical Implementation Engineer ARM
- Job ID #: 10807
- Job Category: Hardware Engineering
- Employment Type: Experienced Professionals
- Division: Central Engineering - Media
- Department: Central Engineering - Media Engineering
- Primary Country: UK
- Primary Location: Cambridge
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
This position provides a fantastic opportunity to work as part of the media processing implementation team, to physically characterise, and optimise the latest GPU, Video and Display IP under development. The role is technically focussed with future opportunities available for technical and or team leadership. Working with the latest EDA tools in cutting edge technologies, this role offers a unique opportunity to engage with many different parts of the business. This position will typically involve working internally with the RTL design team, product marketing, our physical design group, as well as offering the opportunity to work externally with EDA vendors to explore and utilise the latest in optimisation technology, and supporting customers directly to aid them in meeting their design goals.
The position may require occasional travel to collaborate with our other teams in the UK, Norway and Sweden.
- Work as part of GPU product development team to analyse and optimise our GPU designs.
- Provide quality Power, Performance and Area (PPA) feedback to design teams
- Implement and verify ASIC designs of varying size and complexity using suitable front and/or back-end design flows on cutting edge process nodes.
- Develop new methodologies to improve the efficiency and quality of our GPU implementations.
- Interact with and drive various EDA vendors to maintain and extend the class leading quality of results from our GPUs
- Supporting our customers to achieve the best possible quality of results from our GPU designs.
- Act as consultant for ASIC implementation queries both internal, and external
- Liaise with other implementation groups to improve implementation flow alignment across the company
To find out what it’s like to work in the team follow this link: http://bit.ly/2lqycXZ
Education & Qualifications
Good university degree, in electronic engineering or computer science ideally, although other science graduates will be considered if they have relevant experience.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Extensive experience of ASIC implementation flow and challenges on cutting edge process nodes
- Experience with running Logical Synthesis and STA
- Experience in top and/or block level floor planning, Place and Route, CTS, logical and physical optimization, timing closure and power analysis flows.
- Experience running Logical Equivalence Checking tools.
- Good scripting skills using Tcl, Perl, Python, Makefile and Shell scripts.
- Ability to express ideas and communicate effectively.
- A high level of pro-activity, initiative and problem solving skills.
- Good communication skills, both written and oral.
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Experience with low power design techniques (power gating, voltage/frequency scaling, etc)
- The ability to coach or mentor more junior engineers
- Experience collaborating and communicating with remote design centres.
- Understanding and working experience in static and dynamic IR-drop analysis.
- Experience of power grid design and analysis
- Experience of physical verification (LVS and DRC) flows.
- Experience with ATPG tools/and or production testing.
- Experience working and communicating with remote design centres.
- Experience of working directly with customers,
What are the desired behaviours for this role?
At ARM, we are proud to have a set of behaviours that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary. These behaviours are assessed as part of the recruitment process:
- Delivery of results – You demonstrate a can-do attitude and you drive to overcome obstacles, acting with a sense of urgency because you’re passionate about what you do.
- Partner / customer focus – Your tendency to put your partners and customers first in all that you do by understanding their needs and striving to achieve win-win solutions.
- Creativity / innovation – Possessing curiosity and a passion for driving continuous improvement through spotting opportunities and seeking the views of others.
- Collaboration / communication – Your ability to forge lasting relationships which are built upon mutual trust, open communication and sharing of information and success.
- Personal impact / influence – You listen to different perspectives, evaluate, persuade and carefully shape your work to deliver truly impactful results.
- Team / personal development – You take time to drive your own development, while also encouraging team members and partners to do the same.
About the Media Engineering Group
The Media Engineering Group produces media processing hardware and software products for mobile and embedded devices. Our product portfolio includes GPU, ISP, Display and Video IP and our Mali™ Graphics Processor is the world’s #1 shipping GPU. Now we are entering into a new growth phase to provide new technologies and products for new and existing markets and are looking for talented people to join the team.
In Media Engineering you will work with the world’s best companies, making world-leading products based on our IP alongside the best engineers in the world. We are a global team working across numerous sites and cultures. Your ideas will make a difference and you will have the opportunity to lead, challenge the status quo and ultimately change the world of media processing.
Please have a look at the following video to see what it's like to work in as part of the Media team: https://youtu.be/F4tNBNBgYEY
At ARM, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global ARM community thrive
- No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective
- Information is crucial, share it
- Realise that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t (what does collaborate)
Passion for progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up the pool of people you connect with
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress
Be your brilliant self
- Be quirky not egocentric
- Recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’
- Make trust our default position
- Hold strong opinions lightly
With offices around the world, ARM is a diverse organisation of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling a vibrant, inclusive, meritocratic, and open workplace, where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to ARM's success in the global marketplace.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. ARM’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
At our global HQ in Cambridge, England we house the majority of our engineering and our corporate groups that deliver our extraordinary success. As a world-renowned university town, Cambridge boasts both a beautiful countryside and a historical town center. Local activities include punting on the River Cam and the many museums that reside within Cambridge University.
110 Fulbourn Road