Packaging Coordinator AstraZenecaLocation: Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States
Job reference: R-014377
Posted date: Oct. 04, 2017
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the utmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe. As a Packaging Coordinator in Gaithersburg, MD, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives. Operations at AstraZeneca is a truly world-class business unit. It offers one of the most exciting, fast paced, challenging and rewarding work environments in the world of operations, supply chain and manufacturing.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The Biologics External Supply (BES) team is accountable for developing and maintaining the 0 – 36 month supply plan for Biologics CMO’s as part of the global end to end supply chain. This requires close collaboration with global planning and CMO’s to ensure CMO capabilities are accurately understood, supply plans are well developed, able to be executed with future targets are meaningful and achievable. BES is accountable for relationship management with the associated supply/customer production sites, all activities around import/export of materials, and all materials/production data management. BES is also accountable for implementation and control of all new/changed packing materials graphics and associated documentation.
The ‘Packaging Coordinator’ role within BES incorporates the conventional activities associated with implementing artwork changes at BES 3rd party packing contractors in line with Marketing Company requirements. The role holder will represent the artwork team on NPI (New Product Introduction) projects and introduction of new supplier projects to ensure that artwork process set up is in line with the AZ GLBP.
The work is executed in a global environment, with strong focus on cross-functional collaboration with other roles such as Supply Chain Leads, QA, Supply Chain Coordinators, Asset Planners, Project Managers and Supplier Relationship Managers.
The role holder will need to communicate effectively with all functions involved in the implementation of artwork changes whilst maximising efficiencies for the business. The role holder will work and communicate on a daily basis on pack change projects and determine priorities in order to make the right decisions with the customer in focus.
- Provide primary support and coordination for packaging documentation changes across multiple CMO’s. This includes changes to packaging artwork, packaging specifications and packaging specifications drawing/templates. This will require interactions with Regulatory, Marketing Companies, internal functions within AZ and Contract Manufacturers
- Project manage packaging documentation changes from initial notification to implementation in a way to ensure sufficient time is available to implement the change to timescales requested by the customer (either internal or external). Is confident in risk management (eg. can identify when artwork needs to be fast tracked).
- Provides the Marketing Company with information needed for Artwork Creation and receives approved Artwork
- Provides information to the Contract Manufacturers to ensure that the new compliant artwork can be implemented and manufactured for the Marketing Companies’ products in line with implementation dates
- Exchange information from Graphics Provider to and from Marketing Companies and Contract Manufacturers.
- Act as the primary point of contact with suppliers and customers regarding AZ pack changes.
- Has knowledge and understanding of the AZ Global Labelling Business Process and local Biologics specific SOP’s to ensure that this process is followed.
- Has an understanding of ways of working with External Artwork Studio, Central Graphics team, suppliers and Marketing Companies.
- Is competent in the GAZELLE system
- Agree and embed processes and ways of working with new suppliers in Gazelle, ensuring full compliance.
- Build and develop effective relationships across the Biologics Supply Chain organization and in projects where the role holder is a participant.
- Represent the supplier/product in the relevant Biologics Supply Chain structure and meetings to ensure issue escalation and resolution without impact to supply.
- Lead and participate in Practical Problem Solving and Continuous Improvement teams.
- Have sufficient skills and knowledge of the supply planning processes to deliver changes to product’s packaging materials in cooperation with Supply Chain Coordinators and in line with market implementation dates.
- Participate in BES projects and workstreams.
- Bachelors degree, preferably within a technical or scientific field.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in one or more of the following areas- Packaging operations, Production Planning, Quality Assurance, Packaging Technical Services, Packaging Graphics.
- Knowledge and understanding of the packaging processes and format development, compliance issues, and cGMP’s.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills working across all levels of the company.
- Strong organization and process improvement skills.
- Demonstrated high-level attention to detail
- Working knowledge of Technical Document Management, Microsoft applications
- Change management experience
- Proven ability to work independently and professionally in a GMP-regulated environment.
- Strong knowledge of Pharmaceutical production supply chain principles, GMP, FDA
- Project management experience
- Knowledge of the commercial printing process
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.