Mbed OS Quality Assurance Lead ARM
- Job ID #: 12082
- Job Category: Software Engineering
- Employment Type: Experienced Professionals
- Division: Internet of Things
- Department: ISG Device Engineering
- Primary Country: USA
- Primary Location: Austin (TX)
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
About the role
Mbed OS is a new platform operating system we are building that integrates the security and software services needed for developing this next generation of secure, connected devices based on Arm Cortex-M SoCs. As Windows and Mac OS X did for the PC ecosystem, and Android and iOS did for smartphone apps, Mbed OS will be one of the key platform operating systems that enables developers to effectively create and deploy billions of innovative IoT devices.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in modern testing methodologies and experience leading quality engineering initiatives. You will have the opportunity lead a vital part of future IoT devices - ensuring the quality of the operating system and device management software upon which they rely to remain robust and secure for many years after deployment.
The role offers unique challenges working in a new business space where you can help shape the future of IoT and the quality of these emerging technologies.
About the group
The Internet of Things is the next computer revolution, where devices become internet connected citizens themselves, creating all sorts of disruptive opportunities for society and business. ARM has setup a new division to help realise these opportunities by creating software and services focused on IoT enablement. Our team is building Mbed OS, a secure, low power and connected open-source operating systems for Arm Cortex-M SoCs that can be used by 100,000s of developers creating these connected IoT devices.
What will I be accountable for?
You will be responsible for the overall quality and delivery of Mbed OS. This means lots of gap analysis, writing test plans and driving quality initiatives throughout the software team to ensure we’ve delivered the most robust and correct software possible. The rest of the time will be spent writing of software in write in assembly, C, C++ and Python!
What skills, experience, and qualifications do I need?
You need to have in-depth experience working with hardware and software for microcontroller based products understanding the complexities and challenges that come from testing across hundreds of unique products with ambitions to scale to thousands of unique products. You will also understand how to determine the correct balance of unit, functional and non-functional testing to perform on a software module and when it should be executed.
You also need experience having been a project lead or responsible for a medium sized software team with a degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or a relevant subject.
You also need to be proficient in multiple of the following areas:
- Cortex-M microcontrollers and peripheralsThumb Assembly, C, C++ and Python
- 5+ years of hands-on software validation experience including performance, stress, soak, regression, functional and non-functional testing
- Lead strategy for QA Plans, define QA tasks, and create and manage QA estimates
- Work with product managers to progress the QA roadmap, including goals, objectives, and product plans
- Interpret and report testing results while coaching teams of the methods used to create higher quality software in every phase of the development cycle
- Work with software development engineers to understand the overall technical architecture and how each feature is implemented
- Verify test plans and test cases which confirm that product requirements are met
- Champion and build awareness around newly implemented standard procedures and improve test time and delivery efficiency
- Have experience in working with an open source community
- Clear technical communicator and considered the guru in your current role
What will give my candidacy an edge?
In your covering letter, please take the time expand on the experience and skills you have in relation to the things we are looking for in this position. This also helps show us you have taken the time to read and understand the job opportunity and have decided to apply on that basis.
Please also feel free to share links to any public code or projects you may have created.
What are the desired behaviors for this role?
At Arm, we are proud to have core beliefs that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions. Our beliefs define how we work together, and how we evaluate candidates.
Here is a preview:
- We, Not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive
- Realize that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t
- Passion for Progress
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress
- Be Your Brilliant Self
- Be quirky not egocentric
- Make trust our default position
A successful candidate will demonstrate the skills and behaviors that can complement our team and ensure the success of 100,000s of developers.
l demonstrate the skills and behaviors that can complement our team and ensure the success of 100,000s of developers.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. ARM’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Awards
- 401(k), 100% matching on first 6% eligible earnings
- Medical, Dental & Vision, 100% coverage for employee only, shared cost for dependents
- Basic Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance (AD&D)
- Short Term (STD) and Long Term (LTD) Disability Insurance
- Vacation, 20 days per year with option to buy 5 more.
- Holidays, 13 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-years of service
- Sick Leave, 7 days per year
- Volunteering, four hours per month (TeamARM)
- Office location dependent: café on site, fitness facilities, team and social events
- Additional benefits include: Flexible Spending Accounts for health and dependent care, EAP, Health Advocate, Business Travel Accident Program & Commuter programs. ARM, Inc. (USA) participates in E-Verify. For more information, please refer to www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
The ARM Austin office employs staff from across all divisions of ARM and is considered the engineering hub for North America. Austin has the nickname of “Silicon Hills” thanks to the high number of tech companies in the area, and is also known as the “Live Music Capital of the World". Events such as South by Southwest, Austin City Limits Music Festival and the F1 Grand Prix are but a few of the many activities that make Austin a top destination for both residents and travelers.
5707 Southwest Pkwy
Bldg 1 Suite 100
Austin, TX. 78735