Lead Distributed Systems Software Architect ARM
- Job ID #: 12210
- Job Category: Research & Development
- Employment Type: Experienced Professionals
- Division: Research
- Department: Research
- Primary Country: USA
- Primary Location: Austin (TX)
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
We are looking for an experienced software architect and distributed systems engineer to join ARM’s IoT cloud services research team. This is a unique opportunity to join a small startup-like team and help drive IoT cloud services agenda at ARM. You will work on cutting edge technologies and play a vital role in defining and implementing next generation IoT platform and cloud services for billions of interconnected devices.
What will I be accountable for?
As a lead software architect in the team, you will be responsible for driving the software architecture of the IoT cloud services. An ideal candidate will have following traits:
- You are a hands-on systems builder with keen interest in software architecture, programming, and system design.
- You have deep experience in distributed systems and a healthy dose of obsession about scalability, fault tolerance, and high availability. You are very comfortable diving deep into topics such as consensus protocols, distributed co-ordination, state machine replication, consistency models, etc.
- You have significant experience with several open source systems such as Kafka, Zookeeper, Consul, Kubernetes, etc. When using these systems, you naturally gravitate towards understanding them at an internal architecture level.
- You are good in identifying the technology trade-offs and can synthesize pragmatic solutions to the problems at hand by judiciously leveraging published and open-source technologies.
- You are a strong programmer and are not afraid to dive in large code bases. You take pride in your code and enjoy contributing to open source projects.
- You are thrilled at the prospect of enabling and shaping the vision of a trillion interconnected devices.
What skills, experience, and qualifications do I need?
- Bachelors (BS), Masters (MS) or PhD in Computer Science or related disciplines
- A minimum of 5 years of work experience in software engineering, preferably in designing large scale distributed systems and scalable/highly-available cloud services
- Proven track record of building and delivering high quality software systems or services
- Expert level proficiency in at least one programming language such as C/C++/Java/Go/Python/Scala
- Experience with database technologies and web/cloud services
- Excellent networking and communication skills
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. ARM’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Awards
- 401(k), 100% matching on first 6% eligible earnings
- Medical, Dental & Vision, 100% coverage for employee only, shared cost for dependents
- Basic Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance (AD&D)
- Short Term (STD) and Long Term (LTD) Disability Insurance
- Vacation, 20 days per year with option to buy 5 more.
- Holidays, 13 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-years of service
- Sick Leave, 7 days per year
- Volunteering, four hours per month (TeamARM)
- Office location dependent: café on site, fitness facilities, team and social events
- Additional benefits include: Flexible Spending Accounts for health and dependent care, EAP, Health Advocate, Business Travel Accident Program & Commuter programs. ARM, Inc. (USA) participates in E-Verify. For more information, please refer to www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
The ARM Austin office employs staff from across all divisions of ARM and is considered the engineering hub for North America. Austin has the nickname of “Silicon Hills” thanks to the high number of tech companies in the area, and is also known as the “Live Music Capital of the World". Events such as South by Southwest, Austin City Limits Music Festival and the F1 Grand Prix are but a few of the many activities that make Austin a top destination for both residents and travelers.
5707 Southwest Pkwy
Bldg 1 Suite 100
Austin, TX. 78735