Layout Designer ARM
- Job ID #: 10771
- Job Category: Design Engineering
- Employment Type: Experienced Professionals
- Division: Physical Design
- Department: Physical Design - Engineering
- Primary Country: USA
- Primary Location: Austin (TX)
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
About the Role
ARM offers IC designers a wide range of choices from its broad portfolio of Artisan memory products. The Artisan high-performance, high-density, low-power and ultra-low power memory generators are optimized for each silicon technology. ARM's Artisan Process-Perfect™ Design Methodology includes comprehensive QA and validation procedures that can enable accurate designs with high manufacturing yields. ARM memory products have been used in circuits running as fast as 1GHz+ and are in production or development at 250nm, 180nm, 150nm, 130nm, 90nm, 65nm, 40nm and 28nm semiconductor processes for various foundries and IDMs.
Our circuit group comprises some of the industry’s leading experts in deep submicron circuit design and design for manufacturing (DFM) techniques.
This position is a rare opportunity for a digital circuit professional to work with the world’s most successful circuit and layout team with exposure to a wide variety of design rules from leading edge foundries.
What will I be accountable for?
- Implementation of quality full-custom layouts of high performance arrays and memory blocks from supplied schematics: from planning stages through final layout verification and review, in accordance with strict guidelines for performance and manufacturability.
- Produce memory instances based upon Std Cell architecture cells using the ARM tiling engine.
- Supervision, mentoring and training of more junior and contract layout designers.
- Resource for interpretation and implementation of all physical design rules in the most advanced manufacturing processes used by ARM.
- Custom layout and verification of complex memory cells.
- Expert physical design verification (DRC/LVS/DFM) resource for all types of circuit and test layouts using Calibre verification tools.
What skills, experience and qualifications do I need?
- Associates Degree in CAD, engineering discipline, or IC design certification; or equivalent experience.
- 2-6years previous experience preferred.
- The ideal candidate is expected to have 2+ years pertinent layout design experience.
- Ability to understand, plan and organize work using complex schematics of hierarchically structured circuits.
- Understanding of layout techniques for optimization of power, speed and area for datapath, bitcell arrays, word line drivers, control blocks, and other complex memory circuits.
- Understanding of layout techniques for design-for-manufacture in advanced (16nm/14nm/10nm) processes.
- Ability to quickly interpret and repair complicated LVS and DRC problems using state of the art verification software.
- Experience with state of the art commercial software for custom layout. (Virtuoso preferred)
- Ability to accurately plan and schedule responsibilities.
- Demonstrable scripting/automation capabilities to improve productivity a plus.
- Leadership potential to lead a team of layout engineers- desired but not required.
- Experience in development of schedules for a team and managing a team to that schedule, including recommending necessary adjustments to the resources to maintain schedule- desired but not required.
- Ability to identify possible design tradeoffs with circuit design leads, based upon assumptions, inherent knowledge and design analysis- desired but not required.
- Programming experience: Tcl, Perl, shell, Skill, Scheme- desired but not required.
What are the desired behaviors for this role?
At ARM, we are proud to have a set of behaviors that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary. These behaviors are assessed as part of the recruitment process:
- Partner and customer focus – Your tendency to put your partners and customers first in all that you do by understanding their needs and striving to achieve win-win solutions.
- Collaboration and communication – Your ability to forge lasting relationships which are built upon mutual trust, open communication and sharing of information and success.
- Creativity and innovation – Possessing a passion for driving continuous improvement through spotting opportunities and seeking the views of others.
- Team and personal development – You take time to drive your own development, whilst also encouraging team members and partners to do the same.
- Impact and influence – You listen to different perspectives, evaluate, persuade and carefully shape your work to deliver truly impactful results.
- Deliver on your promises – You demonstrate a can-do attitude and you drive to overcome obstacles, acting with a sense of urgency because you’re passionate about what you do.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. ARM’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Awards
- 401(k), 100% matching on first 6% eligible earnings
- Medical, Dental & Vision, 100% coverage for employee only, shared cost for dependents
- Basic Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance (AD&D)
- Short Term (STD) and Long Term (LTD) Disability Insurance
- Vacation, 20 days per year with option to buy 5 more.
- Holidays, 13 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-years of service
- Sick Leave, 7 days per year
- Volunteering, four hours per month (TeamARM)
- Office location dependent: café on site, fitness facilities, team and social events
- Additional benefits include: Flexible Spending Accounts for health and dependent care, EAP, Health Advocate, Business Travel Accident Program & Commuter programs. ARM, Inc. (USA) participates in E-Verify. For more information, please refer to www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
The ARM Austin office employs staff from across all divisions of ARM and is considered the engineering hub for North America. Austin has the nickname of “Silicon Hills” thanks to the high number of tech companies in the area, and is also known as the “Live Music Capital of the World". Events such as South by Southwest, Austin City Limits Music Festival and the F1 Grand Prix are but a few of the many activities that make Austin a top destination for both residents and travelers.
5707 Southwest Pkwy
Bldg 1 Suite 100
Austin, TX. 78735