IoT Data Infrastructure Technologist ARM
- Job ID #: 11732
- Job Category: Software Engineering
- Employment Type: Experienced Professionals
- Division: Internet of Things
- Department: ISG Tech & Strat
- Primary Country: USA
- Primary Location: San Jose (CA)
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
ARM’s IoT Services Group (ISG)is a fast-growing business developing and proliferating an industry-defining IoT Platform incorporating technology from across ARM’s product groups. As a key member of the ISG Strategy Team, the successful candidate will play a significant role in defining and driving the group’s technology vision and strategy.
The ideal candidate will see the IoT as an opportunity to optimize data flow and computing models to enable data to become actionable in the correct location and be able to leverage their strong background in architecting data infrastructure and data driven systems to map forward looking and advanced data processing trends into strategic direction and actionable recommendations for ISG’s future products and services.
Responsibilities & accountabilities:
- Study and analyze the emerging IoT market landscape and future technology trends, with a 5-year horizon, to inform and lead ARMs strategic direction
- Define and lead strategic initiatives that place ISG at the leading edge of all aspects IoT data processing
- Support ARM’s corporate M&A and strategic partnership activities as a technology expert
- Produce and maintain a perpetual body of work that represents the advanced state of the art for data processing technologies as applied to the IoT industry
- Become the expert voice & champion within ARM for the future direction for IoT data processing infrastructure and architecture
Ideal background, competences & skills:
- Accomplished data infrastructure architect who can easily envisage solutions to distributed data processing problems that start with IoT devices and spans gateways, managed networks and the cloud
- Experienced in the architecture of streaming data processing systems in the cloud and in constrained compute environments
- Can naturally determine the correct compute topology and data flow architecture for a given problem when presented with sources of data, initial descriptions of the goals of a data driven end application, and realistic constraints (e.g. cost, latency, data delivery issues over open networks etc.)
- Familiarity with, and active within, the everchanging opensource landscape for big data analytics, data management and data infrastructure projects
- Familiarity with, and active within, distributed compute efforts such as Fog, MEC, EdgeX etc
- Has experience in the underlying systems that make data accessible, discoverable and usuable and that feed ontology dependent algorithms
- Actively tracks the evolution and advancements of the major cloud infrastructure providers and preferably active within industry consortia
- Has worked in commercial or strategy setting and has produced a body of work that has supported product and investment decisions and that has led to adopted technology deployments
- Strong appreciation of the realities of modulating a technology vision and value to drive real commercial successes
- Has lived through a startup experience or a high growth phase of a business
- Ability to work as a team player yet self-motivated, with a “can do” attitude and comfortable working with ambiguity and setting their own direction
- Proven track record of working to deadlines reliably with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication, organizational, verbal and written skills with the ability to present and customize the message to many levels across the organization from engineering to executives.
Core leadership capabilities:
- Strategic thinking – developing the understanding and skills to assimilate complex and diverse information. In turn, to create strategic direction and execution that delivers both value to our customers and shareholders
- Navigating uncertainty – how to effectively lead and drive action, when faced with uncertainty and ambiguity (operating amidst disruption and causing it)
- Knowing your own leadership style – having a clear understanding of your personal leadership style and values to enable to be at your most skillful and lead with integrity
- Exerting influence– developing an in-depth understanding of self and others, as well as an appreciation of how systems work in order to be able to drive change through effective dialogue in a global context
- Strengthening and leveraging individual and organizational networks – to help widen people’s perspective and knowledge about ARM and help drive change & innovation in ARM and beyond
At ARM, we are proud to have a set of behaviors that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary. These behaviors are assessed as part of the recruitment process:
- Partner and customer focus – Your tendency to put your partners and customers first in all that you do by understanding their needs and striving to achieve win-win solutions.
- Collaboration and communication – Your ability to forge lasting relationships which are built upon mutual trust, open communication and sharing of information and success.
- Creativity and innovation – Possessing a passion for driving continuous improvement through spotting opportunities and seeking the views of others.
- Team and personal development – You take time to drive your own development, whilst also encouraging team members and partners to do the same.
- Impact and influence – You listen to different perspectives, evaluate, persuade and carefully shape your work to deliver truly impactful results.
- Deliver on your promises – You demonstrate a can-do attitude and you drive to overcome obstacles, acting with a sense of urgency because you’re passionate about what you do.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. ARM’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Awards
- 401(k), 100% matching on first 6% eligible earnings
- Medical, Dental & Vision, 100% coverage for employee only, shared cost for dependents
- Basic Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance (AD&D)
- Short Term (STD) and Long Term (LTD) Disability Insurance
- Vacation, 20 days per year with option to buy 5 more.
- Holidays, 13 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-years of service
- Sick Leave, 7 days per year
- Volunteering, four hours per month (TeamARM)
- Office location dependent: café on site, fitness facilities, team and social events
- Additional benefits include: Flexible Spending Accounts for health and dependent care, EAP, Health Advocate, Business Travel Accident Program & Commuter programs. ARM, Inc. (USA) participates in E-Verify. For more information, please refer to www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
The ARM San Jose office is nestled in California's Silicon Valley, just south of San Francisco. Serving as ARM’s North America headquarters, the office houses employees serving all divisions of ARM. World-renowned Stanford University is seen as a hub of innovation, helping to make San Jose one of the US’s fastest growing cities.
150 Rose Orchard Way
San Jose, CA 95134-1358