HEOR Director - Oncology AstraZenecaLocation: Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States
Job reference: R-013706
Posted date: Sep. 19, 2017
Director/Associate Director of Health Economics and Outcomes Research, Oncology – Gaithersburg, MD.
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the utmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe. As a Director/Associate Director of Health Economics and Outcomes Research (HEOR) Oncology inWilmington, DE you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The Director, Health Economics and Outcomes Research (HEOR) role sits within the Evidence Generation function of the United States (US) Medical Affairs (USMA) organization and interacts with Payer and Commercial teams to design and implement observational research strategies in support of AZ product. You will be responsible for focusing on the generation of evidence to assist payer and health care provider (HCP) decision-makers and include scientific evidence for reimbursement dossiers and market access in the US. This role leads the internal and external communication of the clinical and economic value proposition and of scientific results to achieve maximal scientific impact and commercial success of AZ products throughout their life cycle. This position requires an experienced individual with expert scientific knowledge of HEOR and its application throughout development process, strong business acumen, and excellent interpersonal skills.
You will lead (Director)/support (Assoc. Director) the development and execution of the evidence generation strategy to support articulation of product clinical and economic value. You will lead (Director)/support (Assoc. Director) US input to brand strategy and Medical Plan, payer-related evidence plan, and market access & pricing strategy. You will proactively and independently, contribute to research planning process and resolution of complex issues, especially if they affect market access decisions and evidence for product. You will represent HEOR as member of the Core Medical Team (CMT). You will co-lead (Director) the Clinical Value Team (CVT) with USMA Managed Markets. You will lead (Director)/support (Assoc. Director) CMT/CVT members to develop strategy and execute a response to value reviews of AZ products by external organizations, as appropriate and in alignment with current AZ approach. You will ensure US evidence strategy alignment with Global Medical Affairs, reimbursement, and regulatory strategies. You will serve as observational research expert within Therapeutic Area (TA). You will remain actively aware of the product environment by establishing, maintaining, and fostering internal (cross-functional, within the US and Global organizations) and external interactions with scientific experts.
- Master’s degree in relevant field (e.g., outcomes research, health services research, epidemiology, health economics, health policy or related fields)
- Doctoral degree in relevant field preferred (PhD, PharmD, MD)
- Director: Ten years of relevant experience (e.g., academia, consulting, and/or industry); a minimum of five years in the pharmaceutical/biotechnology/medical device industry
- Associate Director: Five years of relevant experience (e.g., academia, consulting, and/or industry); a minimum of three years in the pharmaceutical/biotechnology/medical device industry
- Experience in the US Payer space would be of value
- In-depth expert knowledge of Real World Evidence and HEOR and their application to pharmaceutical development within the US market.
- Comprehensive understanding of the pharmaceutical industry and regulatory requirements.
- Knowledge of US healthcare systems and their changing needs for health economic and payer analytic information.
- Leadership skills and problem solving capability as demonstrated by ability to evaluate threats and opportunities for Health Economics strategy and modify as appropriate.
- Well-developed conceptual and integrative thinking with capability to access internal and external resources for advice.
- Proactive application of therapeutic area and disease treatment knowledge
- Able to implement projects, including engagement with key stakeholders, with high degree of autonomy
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.