Global Medical Capabilities Lead AstraZenecaLocation: Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
Job reference: R-016846
Posted date: Nov. 08, 2017
Position: Global Medical Capabilities Lead
Location: Cambridge, UK
Salary: Competitive & Excellent Benefits Package
At AstraZeneca we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality.
AstraZeneca is a science-led, global biopharmaceutical company, with a focused portfolio in core therapies. We are committed to improving the health and lives of people across the globe, through our broad research and development platform, and a growing late-stage pipeline. Working in over 100 countries, we have strength in emerging markets, and our medicines are used by millions of patients and clinicians worldwide.
Main Duties and Responsibilities Overview
Global Medical Affairs (GMA) ensures the best patient outcomes by providing healthcare decision-makers around the world with the evidence and confidence they need on AZ therapies and support our internal stakeholders with medical insight and expertise. GMA provides medical leadership with market participation and connectivity while also impacting the life cycle planning and execution of all our products. Global Medical Affairs aims to lead AstraZeneca in achieving scientific leadership, being a great place to work, and keeping patients at the core of everything we do.
In order to accomplish our goals and enable the best patient outcomes, we look for future AZ medical network leaders to have four core capabilities:
- A track record of building and maintaining a deep continued connection to Medical Practice/healthcare delivery
- Collaborative/matrix management skills with a focus on leading diverse groups (e.g., cultural, geographical, functional) to achieve excellent results in shared goals
- Strong communication skills with the ability to distil complexity down to what matters to our stakeholders
- Business and financial acumen
The GMA Capabilities Lead is accountable for developing and implementing programs to enhance role-based training and strengthen business acumen skills for targeted Medical personnel. The candidate will work across the Medical Network (Medical Directors and GMA functions) to identify critical skill gaps and build capabilities to reinforce the organization as a Specialty Care company. The individual will establish global standards, tools, and templates for program development and drive priorities based on business needs.
The Capabilities Lead will engage content experts to design training curricula and partner with the Head of Strategy, the Medical Academy Director and Head of Global MSL Excellence to integrate training goals and objectives. This role will also collaborate with the MAC Business Manager and the Medical Academy function to assess non-therapeutic gaps in knowledge, content, and skills and implement improvement plans.
- Support the assessment of knowledge gaps for non-therapeutic training needs to develop and implement role-based training improvement programs
- Identify leadership development needs through demonstrated broad business perspective and effective needs analysis
- Collaborate with internal team members and outsource providers to develop innovate and engaging content material and training programs
- Identify and implement capability standards and best practices
- Ensure collaboration with Medical Academy Leaders across all TAs to ensure integration of capability/skill training within learning journeys
- Identify and utilize appropriate learning technologies to maximize efficiency and effectiveness of training
- Ensure compliance with all relevant global guidelines and policies, processes and procedures
- Drive high performance, efficiency and effectiveness of capability development by refining and improving on benchmarks, best practices, and utilizing user feedback
- Proactively stay up to date on adult learning theories and relevant medical practices
- Liaise with global compliance function to develop and implement policies that ensure appropriate areas of risk are mitigated
- Develop and implement the strategy for career development for targeted Medical roles
- Develop an Executive Leadership program for Medical
Minimum Requirements – Education and Experience
- Doctoral degree in scientific discipline or MBA
- Pharmaceutical or related medical experience (2 – 5 years)
- Country experience (preferred)
- Experience in creating and implementing training programs
- Understanding of adult education learning principles and how to engage learners through innovative e-learning techniques
- Demonstrated project management experience
- Experience in developing new services & programs
Skills and Capabilities
- knowledge of Medical Affairs functions, preferably with prior In-Country or Regional experience
- Ability to understand and apply learning technologies to the provision of capability development
- Expertise in training programs relevant to Medical Affairs within the markets with proven ability to create and deliver on trainings that address identified gaps
- An ability to effectively manage and update the technical aspects of the Medical Academy interface, including video trainings, in-person training logistics, and other non-therapeutic content
- Strong project management skills with a proven track record of driving impact
- Facilitation, presentation, and interpersonal communication skills in a variety of formats (such as seminars, workshops, web-based training or podcasts)
- Ability to work successfully in a complex, global, matrix organization
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply now to join us and help turn ideas into life changing medicines!