GA&I Associate Director – Gaithersburg, MD or Cambridge, UK AstraZenecaLocation: Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States
Job reference: R-016464
Posted date: Oct. 31, 2017
At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe. As a GA&I Associate Director in Gaithersburg, MD or Cambridge, UK, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives. This role is based in our CVMD team and will lead the generation of insight and analytics for a single brand (late stage or marketed). This role provides strategic business insights capabilities, will have an in depth understanding of the brand/molecule/therapeutic area and will consolidate insights from primary market research, forecasting, analytics, and competitive intelligence into insights and recommendation. As a partner to the product teams, this role will bring independent and strategic thinking to the brand, supports and challenges where appropriate.
The Global Analytics and Intelligence (GA&I) organization focuses on four key responsibilities:
- Uncovering deep understanding of patients, markets, stakeholders, competitors and brands to drive competitive advantage.
- Being a collaborative and strategic partner that provides objectivity to inform better decision making.
- Providing recommendations based upon future-oriented insights and opportunities.
- Providing an independent view in decision-making bodies with an external perspective, and a future-oriented insights and early warning intelligence.
GA&I core capabilities are comprised of:
- Competitive Intelligence - externally focused view to understand how competitor actions will impact AstraZeneca.
- Strong analytics & forecasting - ability to quantify strategy and support decisions with data.
- Insights focus - interpret data to identify the “so what” for AstraZeneca.
GA&I uses these capabilities to drive decisions by valuing potential assets and shaping winning clinical and commercial strategies.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads the integration of insight and analysis from a variety of sources (PMR, CI, secondary data) to inform material decisions through the delivery of robust opportunity focused forecasts.
- Consolidates a variety of data and information into actionable brand opportunities/strategies
- Lead analyses & evaluations supporting licensing opportunities where relevant.
- Responsible for the development, delivery and team alignment of the product/brand forecast and related assumptions based on internal best practice processes triangulating with the most robust data possible to maximize confidence.
- Lead, negotiate and interact with key local markets to validate forecast assumptions and market understanding.
Primary Market Research (PMR) – qualitative and quantitative
- Responsible for ensuring that interpretation of primary market research is generating relevant actionable differentiating insights. Through a closeness to the Global Brand Team/Global Project Team and a strong understanding of the Therapy Area (TA) which allows you to translate their insight gaps into the correct questions and a technical expertise in research design and interpretation to generate relevant answers.
- Responsible for managing all primary research in accordance with internal AZ compliance policies and best practices, with agreed preferred vendors.
Competitive Intelligence (CI)
- Working closely with the CI Director and Agency analyst, leads the generation of competitive analysis for a brand, ensuring implications are reflected in the forecast and landed in the brand team.
Analytics & Performance/Reporting
- Provide objective quantitative analyses and lead the development of business cases to determine key opportunities and address critical business issues for the brand and/or TA.
- Align and integrate with TA business insight, competitive intelligence and pricing and market access partners to inform forecast assumptions, brand/TA opportunities and brand performance.
- Lead all performance/KPI development and reporting, including best practice sharing across TAs, enabling a thorough understanding of brand performance and opportunities based on a variety of inputs.
- Science or commercial related degree
- Strong market research expertise
- Good financial modelling and forecasting skills
- Good business acumen, strategic thinking and understanding of sales and marketing business practices
- Analytical experience in the pharmaceutical or consumer industries
- Ability to demonstrate use of secondary data sources (IMS, Decision Resources etc.) and performance tracking
- Ability to lead projects on behalf of the GA&I team
- Ability to manage multiple tasks/assignments to demanding deadlines with minimal supervision
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills as well as teamwork abilities
- Comfortable working in a matrix environment
- Global mind set and high emotional intelligence Strong written and verbal communication
- Ability to influence laterally and vertically
- PhD / MBA
- High degree of creativity and innovation in developing new approaches, processes and methodologies
- In depth knowledge of regional market dynamics through to in-market or regional experience
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.