Embedded Software Technical Lead ARM
- Job ID #: 12226
- Job Category: Software Engineering
- Employment Type: Experienced Professionals
- Division: Central Engineering - OSS
- Department: Central Engineering - OSS Engineering
- Primary Country: UK
- Primary Location: Cambridge
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Are you an experienced Software Development Lead with a strong background in Embedded Software Development? At Arm we are looking for highly motivated individuals who have a professional approach to Software Development. You would join a growing team of likeminded individuals that share a passion for contributing to the future of computing and wherever that ambition may lead. You will help Arm maintain its leadership in the low-power embedded market, and playing an essential role in helping Arm grow in the area of Safety Critical Systems including, but not limited to, Robotics, Automation and Automotive applications.
Job Purpose & Accountabilities
The Embedded Software Lead will be a member of the Platforms Software team. You will be responsible for developing and building our safety software ecosystem around Arm's current and next generation products.
- Leading and mentoring a distributed team of talented software engineers
- Working with other Arm teams and partners to shape the strategy and roadmap for Arm’s reference hardware and software designs, especially in the field of Safety Critical Machines
- Analysis and deep understanding of the safety software solutions in use currently, in particular the open-source software projects
- Porting that software onto Arm reference hardware designs
- Designing and leading development of new software to support and showcase the implementation of Safety Critical Systems on Arm’s reference system designs.
- Profiling the performance of the system and innovating ways to improve
- Validating the functionality, security and safety of the system
- Designing system improvements and working with the associated hardware and software teams to implement them
- Pushing software improvements back to the relevant open-source software projects as a reference for Arm customers to create their own systems from.
- Working with Arm’s OS, OEM and Silicon Partners to drive standards that enable the optimisation, differentiation and fast evolution benefits of Arm’s Partner model
- Providing technical advice and direction to both Arm’s, and Arm Partners', robotics and automotive platform implementation projects
Arm is a leader in low power embedded solutions and you can expect to be developing embedded software which will maintain this leadership.
As an active member of an extended Software Development group you can expect to be working face-to-face with some of the greatest household names in our industry to help develop, optimize and deliver the software needed to support Arm's cutting edge IP, as well as helping Arm grow its role in new market segments.
A successful candidate will be flexible, with a variety of software development skills and a commitment to extend the breadth and depth of their knowledge.
The candidate must also have a demonstrable ability to successfully lead and mentor a distributed team of engineers and ensure high standards of architectural design, engineering systems, process and quality are applied and maintained.
Education & Qualifications:
Good university degree (or equivalent), ideally in a numerate subject, although other graduates would be considered if they have relevant experience.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Knowledge of a leading RISC based computer Architecture
- Experience of software profiling, instrumentation and optimization
- Strong understanding of complex multi-component embedded systems
- Demonstrable low level device driver development or integration experience
- Proficiency with optimizing app, workloads, and compilers
- Expert knowledge of C/C++ development
- Understanding of how to rigorously test software and design software for test
- Experience of the software lifecycle: has taken complex software from concept, to production and maintenance
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills: Excellent written and spoken English; can write coherent documentation; can influence and build consensus
- Ability to work independently and in a distributed team
- Ability to work face to face with key partners and their internal development programs
- Professional and enthusiastic approach to work
- Flair for lateral thinking and problem solving
- Pro-active and self-motivating
- Willingness to be flexible and accept new challenges
Desirable Skills & Experience:
- Experience with Safety Critical software and systems
- Experience with Robotics, Automotive and Automation software and systems
- Experience building IoT solutions and with common IoT protocols and standards
- Experience with Linux
- Familiarity with System-on-a-Chip architectures
- An understanding of embedded power management techniques and security technologies.
- Experience with at least one leading RTOS
- Experience with GIT/Gerrit configuration management principles
- Familiarity with open-source project development cycles and contribution processes
- Familiarity with testing methodology and automated testing systems
- Experience with device driver development
- Experience with assembly programming (not necessarily Arm)
- Knowledge of software design techniques and how to maintain compatibility
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. ARM’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
At our global HQ in Cambridge, England we house the majority of our engineering and our corporate groups that deliver our extraordinary success. As a world-renowned university town, Cambridge boasts both a beautiful countryside and a historical town center. Local activities include punting on the River Cam and the many museums that reside within Cambridge University.
110 Fulbourn Road