Embedded Software Engineer - Mbed OS Test (IoT) ARM
- Job ID #: 12197
- Job Category: Software Engineering
- Employment Type: Experienced Professionals
- Division: Internet of Things
- Department: ISG Device Engineering
- Primary Country: USA
- Primary Location: Austin (TX)
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
About the role
Mbed OS is a new platform operating system we are building that integrates the security and software services needed for developing this next generation of secure, connected devices based on Cortex-M SoCs. As Windows and Mac OS X did for the PC ecosystem, and Android and iOS did for smartphone apps, mbed OS will be one of the key platform operating systems that enables developers to effectively create and deploy billions of innovative IoT devices.
Are you a talented software engineer with experience writing software for Arm Cortex M mircocontrollers?
You will have the opportunity to be a vital part of future IoT devices - ensuring the quality of the operating system and device management software upon which they rely to remain robust and secure for many years after deployment. You will work in conjunction with the rest of our engineering team and partners ensuring our customers and developer community are successful adopting our open-source operating system and device management services.You will work in a cross-site team of excellent engineers with great passion for technology.
What will I be accountable for?
- Writing test plans and test cases for new operating system features
- Work with other software engineers to understand the overall technical architecture and how each feature is implemented
- Automating test scripts in Python
- Raising, tracking, validating and closing defects on Mbed OS
- Performing comprehensive unit, functional and performance testing of
- software components and large stacks
- low level device hardware access and kernel functionality
- Working with our partner enablement team and engineers in the world’s leading silicon companies to enable support of their MCUs and SoCs in Mbed OS
What skills, experience, and qualifications do I need?
You need a strong background unit testing, functional testing and modern testing methodologies in general. You also need an excellent understanding of production system. You must be an effective team player with excellent interpersonal skills who can demonstrate a passion about technology, have a strong interest in learning the latest technologies.
You also need to be proficient in multiple of the following areas:
- Bachelors (BS) or Masters (MS) in Computer Science, Software Engineering or Computer Engineering. Other disciplines will also be considered with relevant experience
- A minimum of 4 years of relevant professional experience
- Considerable experience with embedded software development, with multiple platforms and toolchains
- Thumb Assembly, C, C++, Python, compiler optimizations and code generation
- Deep understanding of fundamental operating system concepts and RTOS for ARM Cortex M
- Experience of testing with Jenkins for CI/CD
- Passion for learning innovative technologies and domains
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills - excellent written and spoken English
- Occasional travel within US and to the UK
What will give my candidacy an edge?
In your covering letter, please take the time expand on the experience and skills you have in relation to the things we are looking for in this position. This also helps show us you have taken the time to read and understand the job opportunity and have decided to apply on that basis.
Please also feel free to share links to any public code or projects you may have created.
Also - experience here will help:
- working on open source projects and with open communities and with micro-controller platforms
- developing commercially successful products which have shipped in volume
- developing complex software stacks such as BLE, WiFi, USB, Filesystems, Bootloaders, 6LoWPAN, IP-based networking
What are the desired behaviors for this role?
At Arm, we are proud to have core beliefs that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions. Our beliefs define how we work together, and how we evaluate candidates.
Here is a preview:
- We, Not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive
- Realize that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t
- Passion for Progress
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress
- Be Your Brilliant Self
- Be quirky not egocentric
- Make trust our default position
A successful candidate will demonstrate the skills and behaviors that can complement our team and ensure the success of 100,000s of developers.
l demonstrate the skills and behaviors that can complement our team and ensure the success of 100,000s of developers.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. ARM’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Awards
- 401(k), 100% matching on first 6% eligible earnings
- Medical, Dental & Vision, 100% coverage for employee only, shared cost for dependents
- Basic Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance (AD&D)
- Short Term (STD) and Long Term (LTD) Disability Insurance
- Vacation, 20 days per year with option to buy 5 more.
- Holidays, 13 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-years of service
- Sick Leave, 7 days per year
- Volunteering, four hours per month (TeamARM)
- Office location dependent: café on site, fitness facilities, team and social events
- Additional benefits include: Flexible Spending Accounts for health and dependent care, EAP, Health Advocate, Business Travel Accident Program & Commuter programs. ARM, Inc. (USA) participates in E-Verify. For more information, please refer to www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
The ARM Austin office employs staff from across all divisions of ARM and is considered the engineering hub for North America. Austin has the nickname of “Silicon Hills” thanks to the high number of tech companies in the area, and is also known as the “Live Music Capital of the World". Events such as South by Southwest, Austin City Limits Music Festival and the F1 Grand Prix are but a few of the many activities that make Austin a top destination for both residents and travelers.
5707 Southwest Pkwy
Bldg 1 Suite 100
Austin, TX. 78735