Director, R&D - PKPD AstraZenecaLocation: Mountain View, California, United States
Job reference: R-011509
Posted date: Sep. 22, 2017
If you’re inspired by the possibilities of science to change lives and you thrive when making brave decisions – join us.
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease. As a Director, R&D in Mountain View, CA, you’ll play a pivotal role in channeling our scientific capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives.
And we’re excited to share that our work at the Mountain View site (along with some other AstraZeneca Group Companies in the Bay Area) will relocate to South San Francisco in early 2018. Click here for more information on this new facility.
We’re constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We’re pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we’re industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
As the Director R&D for MedImmune California, you will lead a group of PK/PD and Pharmacometrics (PM) responsible for the development and implementation of scientific for project teams within your department as well as maintaining state-of-the-art scientific expertise in the MedImmune California site. Main duties and responsibilities will include the following:
- Evaluate the needs of present and future projects needs to identify the resources and skills needed. Review alternatives; design and translate strategies to others in order to meet those requirements. Appropriately deploy staff to projects according to resource allocation. Manage group activities such as maintaining budgets, objectives, and timelines.
- Lead, mentor and coach staff to develop their abilities and encourage them to create innovations that will increase scientific understanding, novel therapeutic directions and scientific and technical capabilities and capacities.
- Work with Principal Scientists, Associate Directors, and Directors to evaluate new methods to maintain leading edge techniques, models, and capabilities. Identify necessary skills and talents that are required for these technology capabilities.
- Attract, hire, retain, and develop world class scientists; create and maintain a work environment in which scientific challenge and innovation are maximized; establish appropriate and measurable objectives for performance and promotions of staff; provide on-going feedback on staff performance.
- Leverage prior experience with regulatory agencies and on cross functional development teams to establish and assure the implementation of appropriate strategy for dose justification, clinical pharmacology, pharmacometrics plans, and regulatory filings.
- Provide technical and strategic guidance of PK/PD and Pharmacometrics to individual programs.
- Establish and contribute to various networks across MedImmune sites, departments, and functions; represent the function, site, department, or team with adequate knowledge and openness; obtain and share key information appropriately. Participate and represent the department, the Site and/or the Company on teams and committees as appropriate.
- Serve as project team lead for CPD and as Translational Sciences subteam leader.
- Assure the implementation and adherence to SHE policies, GLP compliance, and regulatory standards in the PK/PD group.
- Ph.D. or equivalent in appropriate discipline
- Minimum 10 years working in a pharmaceutical industry or other comparable research setting
- Proven record of substantial scientific, creative techniques and discoveries in the appropriate field
- Have foundational understanding of US/EU regulatory environment
- Proven record of completing regulatory deliverables and interactions, including significant contribution to successful BLA/NDA/MAA filings
- Proven track record to manage and motivate a research team of Ph.D. and technical staff
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Extensive networking expected
- PhD and industry experience in pharmacokinetics, clinical pharmacology or pharmacometrics.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.