Director Medical Communications AstraZenecaLocation: Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States
Job reference: R-016436
Posted date: Nov. 06, 2017
Responsible for the leadership and management of Oncology therapeutic area support provided by the MC group. Lead the MedImmune Scientific Publications Team to develop and execute robust publication plans for MedImmune’s early development portfolio. Requires knowledge of all aspects of Publications, to deliver high-quality publications and drive policy and requirements in Medimmune, aligned with global external publication and transparency standards. Line manages Scientific Publications team members who are therapeutically aligned and is accountable for the successful delivery of publications to quality, time, and budget.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accountable for line management, staff development, recruitment, resource planning/capacity management, and budget. Determines and establishes group structure to meet the needs of Scientific Publications and the clinical organization in general.
- Provides leadership in the development and execution of strategic publication plans that are aligned with product development, clinical and therapeutic area strategies. Collaborates with internal (clinicians, statisticians, product development team leaders, global medical affairs and other colleagues) and external (authors, KOLs, journal editors, etc.) stakeholders to obtain relevant input for various publication plans.
- Oversees execution of publication plans either by engaging medical communication vendor partners or by getting writing support from internal medical writers. Manages selection of various vendors as well as their work, budget and contracts. Ensures delivery of high-quality publications in time and within budget.
- Leads the development and implementation of global publications policy and standards to achieve and sustain a leading industry position in Publications. Drives the enhancements and simplification of all publications processes across AZ and MedImmune (such as the global publications policy, standards, sign-off procedure, metrics reporting, and tracking/compliance/monitoring tools).
- Ensures and promotes compliance with internal and external publication standards, including oversight of monitoring and auditing process to address key publications compliance risks and requirements. Ensures resources and capability to support global publications compliance monitoring and tracking database.
- Collaborates with peers in MC group to develop the strategy for supporting the medical writing and scientific publication needs of the clinical organization.
- Drives cross-functional and cross-project learning across the organization.
- Interacts and collaborates with other functional area heads across Clinical Biologics, MedImmune R&D, and AstraZeneca to ensure department alignment, deliver workgroup solutions, and lead organizational change.
- Contributes substantially to the MC vision and purpose, merging technical and business strategies, plans, and actions.
- Assists Head of MC with alignment and improvement of processes, systems, and other leadership initiatives.
· Requires a PhD or PharmD in a scientific discipline or a master’s degree with relevant work experience.
Other Skills and Qualifications:
- 10+ years’ experience in the publication field (preferably in Oncology) in a pharmaceutical/biotech industry, medical communication agency or CRO environment in positions with increasing levels of responsibility. Includes proficiency at writing/editing and managing the writing/review of multiple types of publications (e.g., abstracts, posters, manuscripts, review articles etc.), and extensive knowledge and experience relevant to multiple therapeutic areas, disease areas, and technical disciplines. Previous experience in the development and execution of strategic publication plans is required. Experience presenting at scientific meetings and authoring articles in peer-reviewed journals is a plus. Background in biologics a plus.
- 5+ years of supervisory experience for multiple direct reports or contract staff in a scientific publications group or equivalent. Includes hiring, training, leading, and mentoring staff, setting goals within the function, and managing performance issues. Previous experience developing and overseeing project/department budget and resource allocation.
- Broad cross-functional understanding of the drug development process from scientific, technical and business perspectives.
- Ability to negotiate and influence stakeholders across the organization to drive and promote consistent and repeatable high performance.
- Ability to accomplish results through effective influencing, focus the work on what is important, and eliminate roadblocks.
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full
application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way
that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for
this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please
share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer.
AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without
discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy
or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or
belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status,
protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected
by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised.