CLOUD ENGINEER (001458) Inmarsat
- Location: St Johns or London
- Employment type: Permanent
This Role is based in London or St John's
Inmarsat has adopted a cloud first approach to delivering its’ IT services and capabilities. As part of the new operating model, the need for Cloud engineer has been created. This role will operate within a DevOps environment and should be comfortable with Agile methodologies, ITIL framework, and possess solid experience with Linux.
The Cloud Engineer will ensure the reliability and scalability of global cloud infrastructure services running in multiple Cloud platforms and supporting applications and products, he/she will be also part of an existing cross-functional team
- Maintain, monitor and support the Cloud DevOps tools.
- Work closely with application and testing teams to ensure ongoing alignment towards the target architecture.
- Coaching junior members of the team.
- Driving effectiveness, efficiency and continuous improvement through the use of automation and adoption of appropriate and approved tools.
- Provide escalated on-call support with high-volume, high-availability (24x7) production systems.
- Translate business and technical requirements into automation tools and scripts.
- Comfortable with frequent, incremental code, testing and deployment.
- Experience / familiarity with systems including Windows and Linux systems with focus on Linux.
- Excellent knowledge of AWS environments, preferably large or global systems.
- Knowledge of Google Cloud and Century Link.
- Exposure to Ansible, Chef or Puppet.
- Worked within a Linux environment.
- Broad systems and infrastructure knowledge which could include CI tools, containerisation using Docker, Kubernetes or Openshift.
- Contribute to the success of building and maintaining a world-class cloud infrastructure, with key objectives in the areas utilization, availability, capacity, scalability, performance and security management.
- Work with the design teams to ensure effective designs and application of the cloud and hosting services.
- Technical escalation point for Major Incidents and service breaches.
- Identify and resolve problems with the services and support the resolution of problems in dependent services.
- Collaborate with and provide expertise/guidance to other teams inside and outside of the IT organization, such as Customer Support, Networks and 3rd Party Vendors.
- Report any potential security weakness, exposure or suspicious indications to the Security Operations team.
- Ensure DevOps and automation is applied to facilitate an effective and efficient cloud environment for application.
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience as a SysOps/Linux Systems Administrator and systems designer.
- Experience in design and implementation of infrastructure, applications and Cloud Solutions at enterprise level.
- Be a key stakeholder in driving DevOps.
- Work in a cross functional DevOps team.
- Experience with Datacentre migration, Cloud migration, integration and consolidation efforts.
- Strong Linux infrastructure background and hands on exposure to Cloud and automation technologies.
- Working knowledge of SQL, MySQL, MongoDB.
- Strong scripting and coding using Python, Ruby and Bash.
- Understanding of Cloud Services, such as Azure, AWS, Google, etc.