2018 Graduate Hardware Engineer – Physical Implementation ARM
- Job ID #: 11578
- Job Category: Hardware Engineering
- Employment Type: Graduates
- Division: Central Engineering - Systems
- Department: Central Engineering - Systems Engineering
- Primary Country: UK
- Primary Location: Sheffield
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
We are seeking a highly motivated graduate to join our Systems and Software Group. The successful candidate will work as an integral part of our successful dynamic team focused on the implementation of ARM IP and next generation systems.
We are currently working with the latest technologies for low power IoT, high performance compute and functional safety systems to be deployed in markets such as robotics and Advanced Driver Assist Systems (ADAS). Working closely with the designers to implement and verify ARM IP in advanced process nodes, using leading design tools to engineer high performance, power efficient and optimal solutions that meet with our partners varied and aggressive requirements.
The work within the physical implementation team drives RTL development for the next generation ARM-based System on Chip designs as well as providing key information for our sales and marketing activities. We are actively working on leading-edge transistor processes, pushing power, performance and area envelopes; as well as influencing physical library development, leading-edge processes and EDA development.
This is an outstanding opportunity to be part of the ARM Sheffield Design Centre working in a modern vibrant office in a lively northern city on the doorstep of the Peak District National Park. You will be part of a small and talented team, giving you the opportunity to innovate and make a significant contribution.
What will I be accountable for?
- Physical design and implementation of ARM IP
- Investigating design trade-offs in performance, power and area in implementation to enhance quality of RTL
- Analyse design timing and power to ensure IP is best in class
- Develop and deploy new methodologies to improve implementation efficiency and results
- Feedback to the IP design teams and presentation to marketing
- Customer interaction including sales and support
ARM is proud to have a set of behaviours that differentiate our talent in the marketplace. These are embedded in all our roles and applicants are encouraged to evidence their attitudes/behaviours as part of the application process:
- Operates effectively and openly in teams and shares both knowledge and success with others
- Builds strong and lasting relationships based on mutual trust
- Actively seeks out and encourages alternative viewpoints and ideas
- Applies critical thinking to select the best way forward
- Demonstrates a positive attitude in gaining insight from team experiences and is receptive to feedback
- Is passionate about the success of others and actively provides support for their development
- Listens and explores alternative perspectives before carefully shaping work that will deliver impactful results
- Persuades rather than pushes when influencing colleagues
- Acts with a thoughtful sense of urgency
- Demonstrates a helpful, can-do attitude
- Thinks and acts in the best interests of our customers and partners
- Strives to achieve win-win outcomes for ARM and our customers
What skills, experience and qualifications do I need?
In order to be considered, you will need to be on track to receive, or have achieved a 2.1 degree (or equivalent) in Electronic Engineering, Computer Science or another relevant technical discipline.
Essential skills and experience:
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrate enthusiasm, drive and diligence
- Strong team player
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Be motivated to continually develop skills and accept a variety of responsibilities to contribute to the design centres success
- Knowledge of digital circuits.
- Knowledge of physical electronic devices.
- Experience in some programming languages (for example, C/C++, Python).
- The ability to think laterally, solve problems independently, and create novel solutions – not just incremental ones
Desirable skills and experience:
- Understanding of computer and system architecture concepts.
- Knowledge of the physical implementation of microchips.
- Competency in Verilog or VHDL.
- Knowledge of Unix and Tcl
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
Our ARM Sheffield office mainly consists of specialists in the Systems and Software group. Considered one of the greenest cities in Europe, the city of Sheffield is the geographical center of England and features over 2 million trees Ample space for outdoor activities are available at one of over 250 parks in the city, helping Sheffield to be voted the ’happiest city’ in Britain in 2013!
8 St Mary's Gate