Systems Software Engineer ARM
- Job ID #: 15448
- Job Category: Software Engineering
- Employment Type: Experienced Professionals
- Division: Central Engineering - OSS
- Department: Central Engineering OSS – Engineering
- Primary Country: UK
- Primary Location: Cambridge
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
We are looking for a Systems Software Engineer to work on all aspects of the software life-cycle in our Mobile Computing team.
Responsibilities include porting, debugging, analyzing and optimizing software performance, particularly in one or more these areas: Android OS, ChromeOS, Web browsers, Virtual Machines, JIT compilers. The responsibilities also include collaborating with international teams and the open source community, maintaining and improving an automated build and test frameworks.
You will work on a range of development platforms, software models, and early silicon, sometimes many months before IP is made public by Partners. You work with some of the greatest household names in our industry to help develop, optimize, and deliver the software needed to support state of the art Arm IP. You also work closely with partners in the USA and Asia and with software teams in Cambridge, UK to enable key partners and software providers within the Arm software ecosystem.
Are you flexible, with a variety of software development skills and committed to extend the breadth and depth of your knowledge?
Essential Skills & Experience
- Software development experience in C/C++
- Experience of software profiling, analyses and optimisation
- Detailed understanding of a CPU’s internals (pipeline, caches, memory...)
- Experience with version control systems, particularly distributed tools such as Git
- Good written and interpersonal skills
Desirable Skills & Experience
The following skills are not essential for this role, but experience in any of the following areas would improve your application:
- Documented contributions to at least one open source software project, or
- Familiarity with open-source project development cycles and contribution processes
- Experience with Android porting or development (OS level)
- Development experience on embedded platforms and/or real-time operating systems
- Experience with standard GNU/Linux or LLVM tool chains, shells and build tools
- Experience with web browser development (Chromium, webkit, Firefox...)
- Understanding of VM or JIT technology, such as interpreter, JIT compiler, garbage collectors, code generation...
- Knowledge of the Arm architecture
- Familiarity with SoC (System-on-Chip) architectures
- Familiarity with testing methodology and automated testing systems
- Experience with assembly programming (not necessarily Arm)
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our rare culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive.
- No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective.
- Information is crucial, share it.
- Realise that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t.
Passion for progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up your network of connections.
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it.
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow.
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress.
Be your brilliant self
- Be quirky not egocentric.
- Recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’.
- Make trust our default position.
- Hold strong opinions lightly.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
At our global HQ in Cambridge, England we house the majority of our engineering and our corporate groups that deliver our extraordinary success. As a world-renowned university town, Cambridge boasts both a beautiful countryside and a historical town center. Local activities include punting on the River Cam and the many museums that reside within Cambridge University.
110 Fulbourn Road