Systems Design Engineer ARM
- Job ID #: 15673
- Job Category: Hardware Engineering
- Employment Type: Experienced Professionals
- Division: Central Engineering - Systems
- Department: Central Engineering - Systems Engineering
- Primary Country: UK
- Primary Location: Manchester
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
ARM’s hardware is at the heart of the computing and connectivity revolution that continues to transform the way people live and businesses operate. Working as a team and engaging with the world’s most famous technology companies, we are driving innovation into all areas that compute is possible to help us build better solutions for the billions of people using our technology worldwide.
As we continue to grow, we need the best engineers to join a team responsible for the development of complex compute subsystems. Soon, you could be using your talents to help us develop the technologies that will enable the very latest Client systems in today's markets.
What will I be accountable for?
The Systems team's mission is to enable our partners by delivering a secure, performant and reliable hardware and software that are easy to use. Design Engineers in the Systems Group are responsible for driving the specification and development of the next-generation of compute systems.
In this role you will be working in a highly focused group within Arm's Central Engineering Systems Development team in Manchester, where you will help design our next generation compute systems using state of the art technologies, methodologies and tools. You will work closely with architects and other design, verification and implementation engineers and will be expected to support less experienced engineers.
Design engineers are also required to have in-depth understanding across all the elements that contribute to the products’ successful delivery, including low-power design techniques, awareness of the impact of design decisions on system performance, ability to produce designs that are area efficient, and the verification techniques that are employed to ensure high-quality robust designs.
We have multiple openings for experienced engineers who are capable of contributing to, or leading a team through all phases of the design flow. This includes:
- The definition and implementation of hardware designs
- Technically supporting other specialists
- Building and reviewing design and verification documentation
- Planning and tracking design tasks to meet the targets at the planned time
- Coaching and mentoring junior design engineers
What skills and experience will I need?
- experience of RTL design for complex ASIC products & SoCs
- ability to make trade-offs between power, performance will be vital.
- previous exposure to all stages of design: initial concept, specification, implementation, power analysis, testing, documentation and support
- exposure to producing specifications and documentation describing complex designs
- ability to work under time-scale pressure and meet ambitious targets without compromising on quality
- an understanding of the fundamentals of computer architecture and systems
- practical experience of working on Processor based system designs
- technical team leadership, mentoring or coaching experience
- comfortable in technical interactions with customers
- knowledge of shell programming/scripting (e.g. Tcl Perl, Python etc.)
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our unique culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
- Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive
- No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective
- Information is crucial, share it
- Realise that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t (what does collaborate)
Passion for progress
- Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up the pool of people you connect with
- Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it
- Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow
- The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress
Be your brilliant self
- Be quirky not egocentric
- Recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’
- Make trust our default position
- Hold strong opinions lightly
Arm has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
Our office in Manchester, England hosts diverse teams from throughout Arm including debuggers, HPC tools, technical communications, DevOps infrastructure provision and open-source software development. The office is located in the heart of Manchester city centre allowing easy access to shops, restaurants and a bustling nightlife. Known for its world-renowned sporting connections, Manchester is seen as the United Kingdom's "second city", as it is the most visited city in England by overseas visitors aside from the capital.
11 Portland St