Staff Software Engineer - Linux Kernel Developer ARM
- Job ID #: 15078
- Job Category: Software Engineering
- Employment Type: Experienced Professionals
- Division: Central Engineering - OSS
- Department: Central Engineering OSS – Engineering
- Primary Country: India
- Primary Location: Bangalore
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Arm’s headquarters are in the historic city of Cambridge, home to one of the world’s most renowned and oldest Universities. The city is a key driver of global innovation, state of the art technologies and regularly features as one of the most desirable places to live in the UK.
As Arm’s largest engineering centre, the Cambridge site is working on development across all areas of our product portfolio. We are surrounded by world-leading experts and you will relish working with some of the very best engineers in the industry. If the challenge of working on our cutting-edge technology excites you, and you can meet the requirements below, we look forward to receiving your application.
About The Team
The Open Source Software (OSS) team is responsible for developing and improving the software eco-system around Arm's next generation of applications processors. This frequently means working with processors and other hardware technology not yet available to the public. We work on a range of development platforms, software-models, FPGAs and early silicon, sometimes many months before the processors are used in real products.
You will join a team of Software Engineers who all share a passion for wanting to stamp their mark on the future of computing, wherever it may lead. You will be helping Arm maintain its leadership in the embedded market, as well as playing an essential role in making Arm a successful server platform. If you are similarly passionate about leading edge technologies then we want to hear from you.
Job Purpose and Accountabilities
In this role, you will be a member of the Kernel team in the Open Source Software (OSS) group within Arm.
Day to day activities will include:
- You will participate in the design and implementation of new features and bug fixes for Linux (Leading discussion and architectural definition of key technologies),
- Your day to day role will involve development and testing, debugging on different platforms (from software models, through FPGA systems, all the way to development boards and shipping products),
- We want you to be able to conduct code review - both for internal code and upstream,
- Your activities will include upstreaming and maintenance,
- We would like you to be able to influence and build consensus among the upstream community with the aim to ensure that Linux is working as well as possible.
Education & Qualifications:
Established experience or a Bachelor’s (or above) degree in a STEM subject.
- You have a passion for Open Source software development and You are recognised by your peers for your knowledge of upstream Linux kernel development
- We require authoritative knowledge developing and debugging of operating systems
- Have you a detailed understanding of 64-bit ARM architecture or another prominent architecture?
- You will have excellent C skills; some assembly skills are desirable
- You are familiar with upstreaming and codeline maintenance,
- Problem solving and debugging skills are areas in which you have proficiency
- You are more than aware of the vagaries of System Architecture (pipelines, caches, MMUs, Interrupt Controllers, timers),
- You will exhibit an understanding of how to rigorously test software using various techniques
- Knowledge of at least one CPU architecture
- Your strong interpersonal skills are vital for success; we are looking for excellent written and spoken English; capable of writing documentation, mentoring junior engineers.
- We expect a professional, enthusiastic and flexible approach to work with a flair for creative lateral thinking and problem solving with a commitment to extend the breadth and depth of your knowledge
- We value familiarity with open-source project development cycles and contribution processes
- We are seeking an understanding of Arm architecture and tools
- We look for experience of platform bring-up and low-level debug,
- We need knowledge of software design techniques and maintaining compatibility and we value previous experience in large, multi-site software development project
- Alongside knowledge of virtualisation technologies (KVM, Xen,…), we hope you can show knowledge of generic power management techniques
- Experience of software optimisation, instrumentation, Multi-core
- Strong familiarity with testing methodology and automated testing systems alongside hands-on experience in developing with embedded platforms and/or real-time operating systems
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Contributory Pension
- Insurance, Medical, Life & Personal accident
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave
- Sabbatical, 20 business days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Others, subsidized meal, gym, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
The Arm Bangalore office employs staff from the Architecture & Technology, CPU, Physical Design, Systems & Software and Administrative Support teams. Located at a height of over 900 m (3,000 ft) above sea level, Bangalore is known for its pleasant climate throughout the year which makes it suitable for a variety of outdoor sports in the numerous parks and gardens that dot the city.
Arm Embedded Technologies Private Ltd.
Bagmane World Technology Center - SEZ
Citrine Block, 5th and 6th Floor
Marathahalli Outer Ring Road,
Bangalore - 560 048.