Staff ISP Hardware Design Engineer ARM
- Job ID #: 14531
- Job Category: Hardware Engineering
- Employment Type: Experienced Professionals
- Division: Central Engineering - Media & Image
- Department: Central Engineering - Media & Image Engineering
- Primary Country: UK
- Primary Location: Manchester
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
ARM’s Image Signal Processor (ISP) group provides image processing technology for a range of markets and use cases, including surveillance cameras, drones and automobiles. The SoCs at the heart of these devices use our “intellectual property” in the form of software and hardware designs, which is the culmination of man-decades of research and experimentation in the field of imaging.
The successful candidate will be an experienced hardware design engineer with proven ability to deliver high quality, low power, high performance micro-architecture and RTL implementations in challenging timescales. You will work as part of a team and take ownership of several complex imaging hardware blocks. Working closely with the hardware verification team, you will be tasked with evolving these designs to optimally cater for next generation feature and performance requirements. This is a demanding, hands-on technical role, employing the latest hardware design and verification techniques to develop best-in-class hardware IP for low power image/video processing. If the challenge of working on cutting-edge imaging technology excites you, and you can meet the requirements of the job description below, we look forward to receiving your application.
What will you be accountable for
The role covers development and deployment of methodologies as well as direct hands-on test bench development. You will be responsible for:
- Investigating and Micro-architecting complex IP blocks.
- Capturing Design requirements and specifications.
- Developing IP blocks using low power methodology.
- Optimizing IP blocks for logic area, performance and power.
- Developing methodology and deploying within the group
- Potential for line management of small team
Essential skills and experience:
- Substantial experience of RTL (VHDL/Verilog/SystemVerilog) design for complex ASIC products
- Proven ability to design, specify, implement and verify complex IP designs
- Good appreciation of SoC implementation and backend flows
- Understanding of low-power design techniques
- Proficiency in scripting languages, e.g. Perl/TCL/Python
- A high level of pro-activity, initiative and problem solving
- Enthusiasm, drive and diligence
- Ability to schedule own workload and plan tasks
- Ability to express ideas and communicate effectively in English
- Willingness to be learn, be flexible and accept new challenges
- Use of UNIX development environments
- Image/Video hardware design experience with an appreciation of architectural trade-offs between power, area and bandwidth;
- Knowledge of image/video processing algorithms and interfaces
- Knowledge of the ARM architecture and AMBA bus system
- High-level programming experience such as C/C++
- Hardware-software integration experience
- MATLAB/algorithm development
- Knowledge of UVM based verification, familiar with code and functional coverage
- Familiar with FPGA flows
At Arm, we are guided by our core beliefs that reflect our rare culture and guide our decisions, defining how we work together to defy ordinary and shape extraordinary:
We not I
Take daily responsibility to make the Global Arm community thrive.
No individual owns the right answer. Brilliance is collective.
Information is crucial, share it.
Realise that we win when we collaborate — and that everyone misses out when we don’t.
Passion for progress
Our differences are our strength. Widen and mix up your network of connections.
Difficult things can take unexpected directions. Stick with it.
Make feedback positive and expansive, not negative and narrow.
The essence of progress is that it can’t stop. Grow with it and own your own progress.
Be your brilliant self
Be quirky not egocentric.
Recognise the power in saying ‘I don’t know’.
Make trust our default position.
Hold strong opinions lightly.
Arm has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
Your particular benefits package will depend on position and type of employment and may be subject to change. Your package will be confirmed on offer of employment. Arm’s benefits program provides permanent employees with the opportunity to stay innovative and healthy, ensure the wellness of their families, and create a positive working environment.
- Annual Bonus Plan
- Discretionary Cash Award
- Group Personal Pension Plan with enhanced company contribution
- Medical, Travel, Health & Life Insurances
- Holiday, 25 days annual leave with option to buy an additional 5 days per year
- Sabbatical, 20 paid days every four-year of service
- Volunteering, One (1) paid working day each year (TeamARM)
- Varies by location: cycle to work, free car parking, gym on site, team and social events
Arm® technology is at the heart of a computing and connectivity revolution that is transforming the way people live and businesses operate. From the unmissable to the invisible; our advanced, energy-efficient processor designs are enabling the intelligence in 86 billion silicon chips and securely powering products from the sensor to the smartphone to the supercomputer. With more than 1,000 technology partners including the world’s most famous business and consumer brands, we are driving Arm innovation into all areas compute is happening inside the chip, the network and the cloud.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse community of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling an inclusive, meritocratic and open workplace where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.
About the office
Our office in Manchester, England hosts diverse teams from throughout Arm including debuggers, HPC tools, technical communications, DevOps infrastructure provision and open-source software development. The office is located in the heart of Manchester city centre allowing easy access to shops, restaurants and a bustling nightlife. Known for its world-renowned sporting connections, Manchester is seen as the United Kingdom's "second city", as it is the most visited city in England by overseas visitors aside from the capital.
11 Portland St