Software Engineer - Operations Research Wayfair
Locations: Boston, MA
Categories: Engineering - Operations
Who We Are (Operations Research Engineering):
Wayfair’s Operations Research team is a mixed disciplinary team of Operations Research scientists and Software Engineers that are developing technological solutions for some of Wayfair’s most complex optimization problems with an immediate impact on our operations. Our team comes up with creative strategies to develop and execute optimization-based solutions to keep Wayfair efficient as we scale. Many of our projects are in their infancy and do not have pre-existing solutions that overly constrain our approach or design decisions.
Our team’s core areas of focus include:
- Inventory management
- Fulfillment center optimization
- Order routing and fulfillment
- Last mile routing
- Network optimization
What you will be doing:
Your responsibilities will include automating large-scale batch processes, maintaining and improving performance of Python/Cython/C++ code, helping define best practices for maintainable code and processes, and working with other engineering teams to define APIs and integrate systems. Other projects and work include:
- Working with Python web services, Spark (via PySpark), databases, caching systems, and other technologies.
- Architecting a system to support the optimization of delivery truck routes and schedules to support order-in-cart for large parcel deliveries from our DA’s
- Generating replenishment proposals for hundreds of thousands of products stored in the Wayfair Stocking or Castlegate programs
- Determining the selection of warehouses that will be used to fulfill small parcel orders to drive cost reduction, maintain inventory balance across our network, and increase 1- and 2-day delivery guarantees
- Allowing interactive edits of Supplier Order Proposals and re-optimizing in real-time to respond to constraints and information not available during a batch run
- Generating optimal pick lists and routes for warehouse personnel as they fulfill orders, and optimal positioning of products within a warehouse
- Replacing commercial optimization software that no longer fits Wayfair’s needs or scale
What you’ll need:
- Strong math background / quantitative skills
- Strong back-end programming ability
- Familiarity with Python programming, expertise in Python is a plus
- Comfort with agile software development as well as less predictable prototyping and research work
- Proven ability to communicate cross functionally
- Experience with large-scale distributed, parallel computation is a plus
- Experience designing and implementing RESTful APIs is a plus
- Knowledge of Python optimization approaches and technology is a plus
- Familiarity with mathematical optimization techniques: linear and integer programming is a plus
- Familiarity with Statistics / Probability is a plus
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.