Integration Engineer Inmarsat
99 City Road, London, United Kingdom
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over thirty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 12 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat plc is a FTSE listed company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Inmarsat’s Aviation business unit is the leading provider of satellite communications solutions to airlines, operators and passengers worldwide, keeping people in touch at 35,000 feet in the sky. Inmarsat provides the ultimate inflight connectivity experience for the entire aircraft, from voice and safety communications in the cockpit to high-speed, reliable broadband in the cabin.
Primary role purpose:
Inmarsat Aviation Business Unit is looking for a Integration Engineer to join the team responsible for the analysis, design, development and delivery of our Airline programmes. This will include completing the delivery of currently scoped developments as well as future functionality and enhancements to the existing Inmarsat Aviation solutions. This is a wide ranging technical role that will require the successful candidate to play an analyst and integration role in activities including design and development, system integration, acceptance testing, service introduction, and hand-off to operations. The successful applicant must be self-motivated and be capable of completing complex tasks with minimum supervision and have the confidence and ability to promote improvements and introduce new technologies. The ABU is currently going through significant growth and this role will evolve to reflect the changing business needs. This position requires the ability to travel.
- Design and deliver solutions to airlines in time, on budget and to requirements.
- Integrate and deliver the technical and architectural aspects of software based products to ensure consistency, quality and architectural integrity,
- Hands-on integration and development of key technical components, frameworks, interfaces and services.
- Participate and contribute to design reviews, including review of detailed functional specifications,
- Develop test procedures in support of test campaigns and performance evaluation exercises,
- Create and maintain technical documentation to ensure efficient planning and execution
- Manage and maintain all required design and engineering documents.
- Work closely with other teams within Service Delivery, to ensure proper detailed, documented handover to Operations.
- Work with solution vendors and internal stakeholders to define and design new services and features to improve performance or meet new service requirements.
- Review existing software and infrastructure to identify areas for improvement, added scalability, quality, performance, security maintainability and architectural integrity.
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- University degree level or equivalent in Computing Science, Telecommunications or related technical discipline
- Excellent capacity at debugging complex systems, developing and implementing quick fixes as well as leading and delivering long term permanent solutions to problems.
- Extensive experience on Linux scripting / administration.
- Ability to quickly develop proof of concepts / prototypes from scratch
- Excellent knowledge of TCP/IP stack
- Excellent knowledge of iptables / iproute / tc stack
- Proven experience in operating WiFi networks and their optimization.
- Proven experience in integration programmes involving customers, suppliers and internal stakeholders.
- Proven track record in managing delivery timelines and ability to define and respect milestones.
- Proven experience in documenting and describing complex systems.
- Methodical approach to designing and testing systems
- Proven experience with databases (PostgreSQL)
- Proficiency with SELinux and good systems security understanding.
- Excellent organisational skills and communication skills
- Knowledge and experience of the complete software life cycle
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
· Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
· Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
· Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do