Group Leader Environmental Test - Weapons QinetiQ
Employment Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job ID: 9128
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specificationRole Purpose
Responsible for the day to day, safe and effective management of the Environmental Test Centre (ETC) at Shoeburyness. Ensuring that business demand is satisfied through the delivery of safe and efficient operation of all of the facilities under their control.
Safety: Responsible for the safe operation of the ETC ensuring compliance with all applicable legislation, guidance, standards and the associated aspects of the QinetiQ Operating Framework. Promoting a culture of continuous improvement for health, safety and the environment.
Capability: Ensuring the availability of an appropriate and fit for purpose Environmental Test capability to meet the current and future requirements of the business.
Capacity: Collaborating with key leaders across QinetiQ and other stakeholders to ensure that the capacity of the ETC matches the agreed demand.
Culture: Developing an effective working environment that facilitates safe, vibrant and collaborative team working in line with QinetiQ leadership behaviours and values.
Technical Expertise: Working as a key technical expert within programmes to improve business delivery through technical excellence, acting as a trusted advisor, mentor and key contributor.
Company Collaboration: Through partnership and communication, work across the business and functional boundaries within QinetiQ to create collaborative working relationships.
Professional Development: To be recognised as a subject matter expert in the Environmental Testing of Ordnance, Munitions & Explosives (OME), both internally and by external stakeholders. Demonstrating progression against professional competencies and driving a culture of continuous professional development within discipline.
• Good understanding of health, safety and environmental legislation, standards and practices.
• Proven track record in delivering safe, maintained and efficient facility operations.
• Good understanding of Environmental Test technologies, techniques and practices.
• Ability to successfully lead and manage a team in a matrix management organisation.
• Ability to challenge poor behaviours, make corrective changes and promote continuous improvement.
• Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills.
• Knowledge relating to work with OME.
• Good understanding of Process Improvement and Change Management techniques.
Experience & Qualifications
• Extensive operational experience, ideally managing teams in a high hazard facility or environment.
• Experience of Environmental Testing.
• Experience of working with OME.
• Experience of developing and line managing others and building effective teams in a matrix management, technical environment to meet specific and challenging objectives.
• Experience of Process Improvement and Change Management.
• Degree or equivalent in an engineering or scientific discipline.
Must be prepared to take on an emergency response role in support of facility and site operations.