Group Director, Epidemiology & Real-World Evidence AstraZenecaLocation: Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States
Job reference: R-041387
Posted date: Dec. 19, 2018
At AstraZeneca, we’re not afraid to do things differently. We’re resetting expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening up new ways to work, groundbreaking and cutting-edge methods, and bringing unexpected teams together.
The Oncology therapy area at AstraZeneca is unparalleled. We have built and strategically acquired one of the most promising Oncology pipelines in the industry. You will be among inspiring oncology industry leaders who will keep you engaged and empower you to be the best. We seek out opportunities to do dynamic meaningful work which means we won't just follow the same course of action time and again if we can see potential in a different way of creating life changing medicine.
We have a new opportunity with the Global Medical Affairs (GMA) Oncology Business Unit (OBU) as Group Director, Epidemiology & Real-World Evidence (RWE) who is accountable for the leadership and management of a group of Oncology Epidemiologists. You will serve as the key Epidemiology & RWE contact and strategic partner to the medical, clinical development, and commercial teams to ensure excellence in the development, coordination, and execution of the oncology epidemiology & RWE research programs at the global level.
You will manage and develop a team of Epidemiologists within oncology, optimizing individual and team performance, ensuring appropriate deployment to projects and other functional activities to build and maintain excellence in medical evidence capabilities in epidemiology and observational research. The incumbent will be accountable for developing the Epidemiology/RWE capabilities necessary to generate the medical evidence required by regulator, payers and physicians to facilitate patient access and appropriate use of AZ medicines.
The Group Director, Epidemiology & RWE will oversee the development of observational research strategies for the franchises and tumor types across the oncology portfolio. The incumbent is a standing member of the OBU Medical Capabilities Leadership Team, providing observational evidence leadership for the oncology portfolio. The incumbent has significant governance responsibilities for both local and global observational research studies, including a key role on the Medical Affairs Review Committee in Oncology and similar governance forums to ensure that the highest quality standards are met in project deliverables.
These responsibilities require an extensive experience in the pharmaceutical industry with broad and deep knowledge of medical evidence generation, RWE, and epidemiology activities and how they relate to product development and commercialization processes at all life-cycle stages, as well as the ability to influence internal partners and external stakeholders. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate strong leadership capabilities.
To accomplish our goals and enable the best patient outcomes, we seek out the following core capabilities:
- A track record of building and maintaining a deep continued connection to Medical Practice/healthcare delivery
- Collaborative/matrix management skills with a focus on leading diverse groups (e.g., cultural, geographical, functional) to achieve excellent results in shared goals
- Strong communication skills with the ability to distill complexity down to what matters to our stakeholders
- Strong Financial/Budget Management and Project Management skills
- Strong business acumen
Through leadership of the Oncology Epidemiology & RWE team as well as individual contribution:
- Ensure the development and delivery of high quality, scientifically robust medical evidence on time and on budget
- Ensure effective resourcing of projects across the portfolio
- Lead the recruitment, retention, and development of the team to build capabilities and innovation that positions AstraZeneca as a leader in Epidemiology and RWE
- Drive forward innovative approaches to deliver medical evidence, including methodologies, partnerships, delivery modalities
- Lead strategic initiatives to progress MEOR, GMA and general medical evidence priorities
- Ensure individuals are motivated, skilled and developed, providing expertise and guidance to support creation and implementation of relevant Individual Development Plans
- Act as an ambassador for Epidemiology & RWE, providing clarity on the roles and delivering appropriate advocacy whenever possible to ensure company-wide understanding and best usage of the function
- Establish a close collaboration with relevant functions in Global Medicines Development, Medical Evidence & Outcomes Research, Oncology Pricing & Payer Evidence, and local medical teams to develop AstraZeneca’s approach to plan for and meet the needs of regulator, payers, physicians and patients
- Advances AstraZeneca’s reputation and expertise in Epidemiology policy, planning and evidence generation by participating in appropriate external forums e.g., special interest groups of relevant organizations
You will also provide subject matter expertise, guidance and direction to internal and external stakeholders, and manage a team of approximately ten epidemiologists as well as contract resources as needed.
- Ph.D. degree in Epidemiology, Public Health, or a related discipline such as Health Outcomes Research
university degree in Epidemiology or Public Health, or related discipline such as Health Outcomes Research with 10+ years of relevant experience, including a minimum of 5 years in the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry, or a Master’s degree in Epidemiology, Public Health, or a related discipline with 10+ years of relevant experience, including a minimum of 7 years in the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry
- Extensive experience working with primary and secondary data, both US and global. Preferred experience with pragmatic trials.
- In-depth subject matter expertise of epidemiology and its application to support pharmaceutical development, regulatory approval and patient access at a global level
- Deep knowledge of oncology disease and therapy areas
- A track record of peer-reviewed scientific publications demonstrating expertise in RWE/Epidemiology
- Experience leading and managing in a global, matrix environment, including direct personnel management
- Established network of external epidemiology & RWE experts, institutions, and associations
- Persuasive communicator in English with a proven ability to work collaboratively in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to influence strategically and persuade tactfully, to obtain desired outcomes while maintaining effective, positive organizational relationships
- Experience of managing change with a positive approach to the challenges for self, team and the business
- Demonstrated ability to set and manage priorities, resources, performance targets and project initiatives in a global environment
- Well-developed cultural sensitivity
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.