Development Underwriter HiscoxJob ID: 6541
Employment type: Permanent - Full time
Location(s): York, UK
Preferred education: Degree or equivalent
About Hiscox UK and Ireland
Hiscox UK & Ireland is a leading brand in the insurance market, recognised as setting the standards others try to emulate. We consistently deliver strong growth and exceptional returns, recruiting only the very best and empowering them to deliver. We are known for insuring the homes of the rich and famous through to the most innovative technology companies. Our customers are diverse and unique and are only united by our ability to provide specialist insurance tailored to their needs.
Do you want to work for the Hiscox 2018 team of the year? It's been an amazing year for the region and there's some incredibly strong relationships with brokers so you know you’ll be joining an established and successful Branch. You’ll be accountable and empowered to make decisions autonomously and be the face of the York Professions and Specialty Commercial team who are renowned for their impeccable service record, if Brokers are looking for an insurer we want Hiscox to be their go to choice.
On a day to day basis you will underwrite Professional Indemnity, Liability & Cyber products to name a few, including a new cyber product launching this year
What You’ll be doing:
You’ll be responsible for profitably underwriting complex, open market risks, both renewals and new business, undertaking broker visits and managing key broker relationships and actively identifying opportunities to cross-sell products.
It is a competitive market – you will need to be confident at selling a premium product and service. We’re looking for someone who has the confidence to ask questions and the determination to have a successful underwriting career with Hiscox. We will expect you to demonstrate Hiscox behaviours, and achieve both personal and team objectives in line with the core Hiscox values.
- Contribute to growing the existing business income through cross-sell and up-sell
- Deal quickly and efficiently with a large volume of technical renewals and mid-term referrals
- Identify the right clients for Hiscox, decide the terms of the quote, and build a great relationship with the broker in order to win the business
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with a panel of brokers through superb service both on the telephone and face to face visits where appropriate
- Understanding of our competitor’s propositions
- Progression through the Hiscox underwriter passport and training schedule
- Maintain profitability of the account by making sound individual underwriting decisions
- Identify underwriting and process improvements to increase conversion, retention and drive profitable growth
- Regularly challenge convention, writing ‘non-standard’ business and able to take decisive action on loss making business
- Communicate regularly with regional offices to ensure we are working as one team
- Act as a point of referral internally for less experienced underwriters