Development Underwriter, Professions and Specialty Commercial HiscoxJob ID: 6129
Employment type: Permanent - Full time
Preferred education: Degree or equivalent
About Hiscox UK and Ireland
Hiscox UK & Ireland is a leading brand in the insurance market, recognised as setting the standards others try to emulate. We consistently deliver strong growth and exceptional returns, recruiting only the very best and empowering them to deliver. We are known for insuring the homes of the rich and famous through to the most innovative technology companies. Our customers are diverse and unique and are only united by our ability to provide specialist insurance tailored to their needs.
You’ll be working in Maidenhead regional office which is a great place to be, why? There’s lots of ambition and success here so we are looking foor someone who wants to be part of one of the rivalled regions within Hiscox… and it may be worth noting fast food Fridays!
As a Development Underwriter you’ll find, develop, and grow opportunities in the region as well as will actively identify opportunities to cross-sell and build the whole business.
You’ll love to be out and about meeting brokers as the role is predominantly new business focused. This role will be focused on our Professions and Specialty Commercial products including professional indemnity and cyber to name just a couple. Expectations on cross class training are high and you will want to broaden your skill base and gain new underwriting skills!
What you’ll be doing
- Underwrite profitable Professional & Specialty Commercial business to achieve a new business GWP target through effective interpretation of information provided by brokers and negotiation skills
- Develop and maximise opportunities in the region through proactively prospecting for large opportunities e.g. schemes, book transfers, individual cases worth in excess of £20k
- Regularly visit brokers’ offices across the region, building strong relationships with the individuals there and delivering superb service to them
- Identify poorly performing brokers and identify measures to improve their business with Hiscox e.g. commission levels, profit improvement plans, retention and conversion improvement
- Ensure technical and complex referrals are escalated to someone with appropriate authority within correct timescales
- Work closely with the other team members to deliver PSC team broker strategy, line of business strategy, and NB target
- Through internal coaching and training (call coaching, time with Regional Manager and Regional Underwriting Manager, technical and sales training etc) seek continually to build your skills and knowledge for the benefit of Hiscox and your brokers.
- Build specific product knowledge to become a point of referral for a specific product line
- Contribute to ensure Region passes Sales and Underwriting Audits