Data & Analytics Engineer AstraZenecaLocation: Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
Job reference: R-041522
Posted date: Dec. 20, 2018
AstraZeneca is a global biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of most serious diseases. Our growth platforms are doing deeply well, and the impact of our older products decline is starting to reduce. And, with the potential of our pipeline and new medicines, we can be confident in our ability to sustain growth for years to come and make an even bigger difference to patients around the world.
At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a workplace culture that encourages innovation and teamwork. Our vision of a phenomenal place to work is one in which all our employees are engaged and driven by a clear shared purpose and a compelling strategy; where they are encouraged to perform and develop to their full potential; and where they are supported by the right organisation design, culture, technology and processes.
As a Data & Analytics engineer you will support solution development, provide technical leadership, and take responsibility for delivery. You are a data professional with a broad range of knowledge and experience across data & analytics, with significant depth in at least one technical area. You will work almost exclusively with AWS services. You will join a team that has delivered cloud solutions, such as the development of auto-scaling data integration and analytic platform. Similarly, we have built an automated cloud ETL test harness which integrates with our evolving CI/CD processes. We have an exciting pipeline of work, so you might be developing a data hub processing terabytes of clinical trial data, the world’s largest genomics platform, a federated reporting capability, a new tax analytics platform, or improvements to any of our existing analytics solutions.
You'll be part of a team of engineers who work closely with IT colleagues in UK, US, Sweden, India and Mexico. We have business partners and team members spread globally, so you would need a collaborative delivery approach to be successful. We prefer to use Agile, but choose the appropriate approach for the project. You will provide technical leadership throughout our software development lifecycle, from the initial development of a technical design based on agreed architecture, right through to service. Do you have a real passion for delivering well engineered data and analytics solutions? Because this will make you stand out from other specialists.
If you would like to discuss flexible working or part-time working, we would be happy to hear from you.
Location: UK(Cambridge), US(Gaithersburg), Sweden(Gothenburg)
- Define effective ways of end-to-end deliver of our data and analytics platform, drive visualisation strategy to enable specific insights for better business decisions.
- Direct a team of data and reporting engineers focused on developing groundbreaking visualisation and computational capabilities for our big data platform.
- Be hands on within the scrum team on a day-to-day basis, continually inspecting and crafting the backlog in response to the changing business requirements or technical discoveries/POCs.
- Challenge the norm, and push the team to forget the easy route and go after the impossible.
- Lead technology processes from concept development to completion of project work you're doing.
Desirable technical skills & experience
- Experience of cloud techniques and tools (we currently use AWS data & analytics services such as S3, SQS, SNS, Redshift, Postgres, Aurora, MySQL, EMR, HIVE, PIG, Spark),
- Experience of ETL techniques and tools (we currently use Talend for ETL),
- Experience of visualisation technologies (we are focused on OBIEE, MicroStrategy, Spotfire, Qlik, Power BI),
- Experience of building scalable high availability analytics solutions,
- Experience of building unit tests, integration tests, system tests and acceptance tests,
- Experience in DevOps, using continuous integration and continuous development (we use Jenkins, Nexus, Git),
- Experience of data analysis – profiling, investigating, interpreting and documenting data structures,
- Familiarity with data modelling techniques and hands on modelling experience (our relational databases are third normal form and star schema),
- Agile practices, especially being a SCRUM Master,
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.