Contracts Specialist AstraZenecaLocation: Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States
Job reference: R-042632
Posted date: Jan. 11, 2019
MedImmune is the worldwide biologics research and development arm of AstraZeneca. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to make a difference in people’s lives every day. As one of the world’s premier biotechnology companies, our mission is centered on delivering life-changing products that advance world health, and help fight and cure disease.
We’re constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for discovery and a pipeline to show for it. We’re pioneering innovative research and exploring novel pathways across key therapeutic areas including oncology, respiratory, inflammation and autoimmunity, cardiovascular and metabolic disease, and infection and vaccines. And we’re industry-leading in immunology, protein engineering and translational science. We offer a unique and strong collaborative network as part of the AstraZeneca family, as together we explore synergies between small and large molecules.
MedImmune has a dynamic environment that fosters collaboration and innovation. We attract top minds, and we nurture and build top talent.
TheContractsSpecialistis a customer-facing role that provides contract-to-pay support across global AstraZeneca functions for activities involving scientifically and medically qualified External Experts. Types of engagements are consultancy, advisory board meetings, symposia, speaker engagements and steering committee meetings, delivered across global locations both internally and externally to AstraZeneca/MedImmune. In this role you ensure that contracts and payments are made in line with legal, compliance, and transparency reporting requirements.
Essential Job Duties:
- Engage with business engagement owners to deliver their contracting needs and requirements in alignment with business objectives and relevant policies and regulations.
- Serve as “business partner” to a dedicated business unit to gather ongoing understanding of external expert engagement needs and plans.
- Provide advice and guidance to the business on:
- Team processes and procedures
- Fair Market Value rates
- Nominated signatory approvals
- Corporate travel policies
- Contracting terms and geographical mandates
- Payment reimbursement processes
- Negotiate and execute prompt and timely delivery of contracts, such as Confidentiality Disclosure Agreements and Professional Service Agreements relating to engagements with External Experts. Obtaining all appropriate and required internal reviews and approvals for contract terms and provisions.
- Initiate the process for reimbursing the External Expert for their services. Ensure accurate and timely vendor set up to mitigate payment delays. Working with the Business Engagement Owner and/or Medical Communications agencies to collect relevant data and documents, and agree payment of appropriate fees and expenses.
- Prepare and submit payment request for processing by Finance and follow up with the External Expert to confirm receipt. Work with Finance to resolve any payment issues.
- Participate in or lead initiatives to improve team operations.
Essential Education and Experience
- High school diploma with 7+ years of experience with contracts management and/or with operations in a pharmaceutical/biotech/academic research environment; or Associate's degree with 5+ years of experience with contracts management and/or with operations in a pharmaceutical/biotech/academic research environment; or Bachelor's degree with 3+ years of experience with contracts management and/or with operations in a pharmaceutical/biotech/academic research environment
- Comfort with modern computing systems and environments
- Proactive and consultative customer service, having the ability to identify customer needs and respond creatively, listening to information, asking probing questions, applying knowledge and determining solutions
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and adjust workload as business needs shift
- Problem solving skills and capacity to problem solve, anticipating, initiating and resolving internal and external stakeholder issues
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Experience working with cross-functional teams and demonstrated ability to partner effectively with others
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- High ethical standards
- Experience in contract operations
- Pharma/biotechnology or related industry experience preferred
- Understanding of relevant global regulations governing engagements with External Experts (including the Physician Payments Sunshine Act and the EFPIA HCP code)
- Project management experience
- Experience with process improvement
System Applications to be used include:
- Ariba iBuy and iSave
- Microsoft Office Suite
Next Steps – Apply today!
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience – it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, gender or gender orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.