Employment Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job ID: 10630
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification Job description/Person specification: QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific, technical and engineering minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
As part of the Long Term Partnering Arrangement (LTPA) QinetiQ has with MOD, a number of facilities and systems are maintained around the country to support the test and evaluation of military assets. We currently have an exceptional opportunity for an experienced and highly capable systems engineering manager to lead the development and introduction into service of ground based and airborne radar systems with the associated analysis toolset.
Working with the Programme Manager and the System Design Authority, you will take on responsibility for delivery of the technical aspects of the programme. The role requires a broad application of systems and general engineering knowledge, from the early concept phase through to transition into service. The project teams are likely to be comprised of multiple engineering and scientific disciplines, which can be both QinetiQ staff and third party suppliers.
Specific Domain Knowledge:
Knowledge of, and experience in, the following areas is beneficial:
• Radar systems – hardware and software elements
• Radio frequency transmission systems
• Sonar systems and acoustics
• Electromagnetic measurement systems
• Planning the technical programme, with identification and specification of common approaches and processes
• Planning of each project’s scope and approach
• Working with each project’s Lead Engineer to define the technical delivery plan
• Providing leadership, oversight and mentoring of the engineering and technical teams
• Ensuring programme and project compliance with business processes and ensuring technical assurance is robust and sound
• Identification of programme and project technical risks and supporting the Programme Manager with their management
• Providing support in ensuring the appropriate technical resources are applied to tasks
• Ensuring all programme activities and outputs are safe and secure
• Supporting the Programme Manager in reporting to the business and other stakeholders.
Scope and Impact:
The programme delivers an urgently required capability with a high profile within the organisation. The holder of the role is expected to be able to act as a role model to other engineering staff and work closely with the businesses to develop the engineering skills needed for this and other programmes.
Essential education, qualifications and training:
• Recognised engineering qualification to at least first degree standard
• Evidence of continued learning and development
Essential knowledge, skills and experience required:
• Strong knowledge of Systems Engineering principles
• Excellent people management and communication skills
• Technical experience leading multidisciplinary multisite teams in diverse delivery projects across the full engineering lifecycle
• Ability to generate technical solutions
• Ability to make sound judgements on integrated solutions
• Sound knowledge of technical governance.
Essential personal qualities and behavioural requirements:
• Recognised as a leader
• Excellent communicator, both in writing and in person
• Strong customer facing presence
• Ability to work well under pressure
• Able to challenge and be challenged constructively
• Pragmatic and flexible.