Employment Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job ID: 10339
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification Operational Analysis Consultant
QinetiQ is a leading provider of Strategic and Operational Analysis services. We use problem structuring techniques to examine the scope, complexity and potential costs of issues. Additionally, our data analysis, modelling and simulation techniques provide supporting information to identify strategies and understand the resulting opportunities and consequences. Opportunities have arisen for Strategic and Operational Analysis consultants within the Operational Analysis & Strategic Consulting Team as part of our Analysis, Modelling and Simulation discipline.
Successful applicants will work as part of a team of Operational Analysis and Strategic consultants located across various sites within the UK. This is a varied and diverse role that requires a flexible, energetic and responsive individual preferably with recent experience of working within an MOD environment in an Operational or Strategic Analysis function.
A minimum of three years’ experience in a Business / Operational Analysis role is essential and you will be expected to demonstrate knowledge of these areas during the selection process. You will be required to deliver strategic and operational analysis services through problem structuring, data analysis, modelling and simulation, combined with financial modelling and forecasting to help inform decision makers in both qualitative and quantitative terms. This will involve elements of:
• Options modelling and portfolio analysis;
• Constructive simulation and optimisation;
• Balance of Investment and Value for Money assessments;
• Investment Appraisals;
• Business Process and Process Efficiency modelling;
• Problem structuring and evaluation of soft issues; and
• Decision Conferencing and facilitation.
The majority of work is currently with UK MOD clients but work is becoming increasingly directed towards the global defence industry and beyond into civil applications. Work embraces land, air, sea and C4I systems, as well as emerging technology and innovation. Our clients are dispersed, so travel within the UK will be necessary and a willingness and ability to travel to client sites around the UK is important. Our teams are geographically spread, offering a variety of base locations – mostly Bristol and Farnborough, but QinetiQ also has offices at Boscome Down and Malvern.
• Working Knowledge of the MOD Capability Planning and Acquisition processes;
• Experience of delivering those elements of Business and Operational Analysis as detailed above;
• Competent at authoring technical reports and delivering presentations to clients;
• Analytical design – able to convert customer requirements and problems into analytical methods and technical programmes of delivery;
• Able to engage, facilitate and elicit information from a range of stakeholders including engaging senior military officers, including one-on-one and in workshops;
• Has some experience of developing models (e.g. advanced use of MS Office applications) and analytical tools (such as Simul8);
• Experience of constructive simulations and optimisation techniques; and
• Experience of using high level tools for problem formulation and assessment, such as Linear Programming, Mathcad, System Dynamics, Visual Basic for Applications.
Essential Personal Qualities/ Behavioural Characteristics:
• Strong team member able to lead delivery tasks;
• Confident and self-assured;
• Able to work without supervision (a self-starter);
• Excellent inter-personal skills;
• Able to work to challenging schedules and targets within a high pressure and competitive environment;
• Able to negotiate work packages and influence key outcomes;
• Able to engage with stakeholders, both internal and external; and
• Able to mentor and technically develop colleagues.