Employment Type: Full Time - Permanent
Job ID: 10595
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification Maritime Applied Physicist / Engineer
Overall Purpose of the Job:
Your role will support the delivery of hydro-acoustic tasks that will likely include elements of experimental measurement and numerical prediction undertaken using test facilities within the UK and Europe and a high performance computing cluster. You will work with the domain lead, task leads and project managers throughout the lifecycle of projects, from capturing customer requirements, through planning, task conduct, data analysis to delivering results by written reports and oral presentations. Throughout the life-cycle you will ensure that yours and the work of those working with you meets quality requirements, is delivered on schedule and to budget.
Specific responsibilities and challenges:
• Ability to recognise and resolve non-standard, challenging occurrences and problems with work assignments.
• Provide technical expertise in a customer facing and delivery focused environment.
• Perform engineering/technical assignments requiring the integration of a wide range of engineering/technical disciplines.
• Prepare written documentation on whole or segments of overall project.
• Exercise considerable discretion on a variety of complex assignments.
• Ability to work as an individual or part of a team and deliver whole or parts of projects.
• Remain proactive in new techniques and communicate these to colleagues.
• Interaction with project management and QinetiQ technical staff to align outputs.
• Identifying innovative solutions within time and budget constraints.
• Contribute to innovative solutions to customers’ problems.
• Carry out technical trials and contribute to their design and reporting.
• Production and delivery of tasks within time and budget constraints.
• Provision of responses to customers’ technical requirements within agreed timeframes.
• Continuing professional development of self.
Essential Education, Qualifications and Training:
• BEng/BSc, or higher, in a technical applied science/engineering subject appropriately aligned with acoustical/optical/fluid measurements/modelling or mechanical/naval architecture.
• In lieu of degree qualification, relevant technical experience working in a science or engineering role.
• Membership of, or suitability to join, an aligned professional institution, e.g. IOA, IOP, IMechE, IET.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required:
• Mix of practical and numerical skills and willingness to undertake desk and laboratory work.
• Mathematical ability sufficient for performing mechanical, acoustical and vibration calculations/predictions/data manipulation in MatLab and Excel.
• Design and conduct of physical/applied engineering experiments/measurements.
• Good analytical skills and evaluative judgment based on the analysis of factual and qualitative information in complicated or novel situations.
Desirable (evidence of two or more of the following):
• Experience of model-scale testing, design, preparation use of models, ideally in hydrodynamic/acoustic testing
• Awareness, ideally experience of, noise, vibration and flow measurement techniques.
• Awareness of optical/laser-based vibration and flow measurement methods.
• Understanding of engineering mechanical design processes, assurance calculations and low-volume manufacture.
• Awareness of the Commercial and UK Military Marine industry.
Essential Personal Qualities and Behavioural Requirements:
• Strong communication and diplomacy skills are required to guide, influence and convince others, in particular colleagues in other areas/departments and external customers/agencies.
• Able to think conceptually and translate into viable practical technical solutions.
• Make reliable and consistent judgments under minimal supervision.
• Sound planning and organisation skills.
• Flexibility in relation to work and deployment.
• Excellent team working skills.
• Clear thinking and adaptable.
• Ability to apply basic principles to solve complex problems.
• Ability to take responsibility for situations and work tasks.
• Ability to delegate work to others and motivate team to achieve a task.
• Must be sole UK National and have appropriate security clearance or be prepared to undergo vetting process.